Little girls and makeup3

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by TnMtngirl, Dec 26, 2006.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

A friend of ours brought her foster children for Christmas dinner yesterday.The little girl is 11,she is about the size of a 6 year old,the shocker was her hair and face, this kid had on eye shadow,mascara and eye liner ,makeup,lipstick and a wig !I told our friend she needed to scrub this girl down,and dress her in a modest way.the tight jeans and reveling top was just to much,didnt seem to make her mad,apparently she thinks all little girls should dress this way.I am afraid this child is headed in the wrong direction,her little brother seemed ok.

2. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

Scary, isn't it! That girl sounds like she could end up in some trouble if they are not careful.
    IMHO makeup is not appropriate for elementary school age children.

Bev

3. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

i fight this daily with my girl who is only 9. I tell her lip gloss is about as far as she is going to get and thats only at home!

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

When I first read the title, I was thinking 'oh, little girls of four or five often have a facination that burns off...'; but yeah, sounds like this girl isn't really as little as all that. So sorry to hear your friend doesn't see the potential trouble in it.

5. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

And then the parents wonder where their children's youth went. I'm so very happy that my neices are into sports so it's all about hoodies, sweatshirts and such.

6. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I do think children should be allowed to be children, and to dress like children! Why do people want them to look like mini-adults, and expect them to behave like adults?

I may have told this story before, but it's perhaps relevant here. I'm not sure if all the words will be permitted here, but I hope they are! No offence is intended, but I'm telling it like it is.

A while back, while shopping with a friend, I spotted a little girl sitting on a bench outside one of the larger shops. She looked very lost and forlorn. I approached her, asked if she was OK, she started to cry and told me she'd lost her parents (or rather, they'd lost her!). I took her into the shop, asked for the supervisor, and stayed with her while they went into action to locate the parents.

The thing that really bothered me about the whole incident was the T-shirt she was wearing. On the front, in large bold letters, were the words 'Tickle my kitty'. On the back was a picture of a cute cuddly cat.

What were the parents about in buying something like that for their child to wear - a 10yo girl??!!

7. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

heck I thought it was going to be about little ones playing dress up and make up . Mine enjoy that once in a while .
    I have seen little girls at the store or country fair in outfits and make up that would make Madona blush . while talking with a deputy at the fair a gaggle of such 11 and 12 yr olds went by . the deputy commented that he'd like to be able to arrest the parents for contributing to the delinquency of minors . I had to agree

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If that child is in foster care, she has more pressing problems to deal with than make-up. Your friend is choosing to deal with the urgent problems over the less-urgent ones.

9. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    These stories are all so sad.

Girls like to play with make up, but they should not be allowed to wear it in public. I tell my granddaughters they are so pretty, they don't need makeup. If they want to wear it, just a tiny bit, so it doesn't hide their natural beauty.

They don't need to look like a hooker at 10 years old. That poor girl with the kitty shirt. THEY SHOULD BE REPORTED!

10. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Wow, thats bad... and a wig to boot? I never let my DD15 wear makeup til she was in 7-8th grade and even that was lip gloss, only this year and she's in 10th grade she's been wearing mascara, and a little bit of eye liner, not enough to make her look bad though, it looks natural.
    My DD5 wears play makeup around the house, mostly lipstick and eye shadow, but if we went anywhere i'd wash it off, they grow up to fast as it is.. :(
    and the cat shirt thats awful, poor kid.. some paren't just don't get it.

11. RiverPines

RiverPines Well-Known Member

Not my daughter! 8 and she is only allowed nail polish!!! She has a looong way to go before make up and I hope she never evens bothers with it. She is beautiful just as she is.

12. sewing nana

sewing nana Well-Known Member

We had this conversation with a DG today she called and her other GM got 10 and 12 year old a big make up box and leather coats. They were told they can't get married (by their dad) till they were 35. So I told them they can't wear their makeup till they were 34. lol They did'nt think it was funny. GMother is always trying to make them grow up faster. Not us. :shrug:

13. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

Well mine is 11 going on 12 and I let her wear makeup in good taste. She can were eyeliner, but no mascara. She can were light colored eye shadow just to bring out her eyes. I see if I give a bit and they will learn that your are not trying to run their life as you see fit. And it gives them some freedom to be who they want to, and to not just out right REBEL.

Now on the other hand I have a 5 you and she cakes it on and she likes it. But I will guide her to not wear it unless its play time and no way can she take anymore than a bonni bell to school.( now y' all know my age) When she is mature enough to understand my rules I will let her wear eye liner or eye shadow IN GOOD taste, out in public.

Now loWWWWWWWWWWWWW cut T shirts I have a BIG problem with, and bad taste slogans.. And I would never allow it, but I pick my battles and settle just like the Homesteaders and the Native Americans had to do.

Sorry you have to fret about this but as my Mom told me all the days I lived with her "and this to shall pass".

She was a wise woman after raising 6 kids.

14. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

In foster care, looking like Tammy Faye, wearing a wig...look at the whole picture..I'm seeing many many years of therapy. If she is really that small she probably has some self esteem issues as well...I bet most girls in her class are starting puberty and she is still in underoos...tell the mom to get a hold of this quick, get that little girl in with a good therapist...mom can help but won't be able to fix whats going on with her...

15. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

My 11 year old has no interest in makeup or revealing clothes. Her idea of "dressed up" is formal riding attire (breeches, stock tie, boots, etc.). She has a sweat shirt that says, "Here is one little girl who would rather wear tall boots than high heels", and another that says, "Here is one little girl who would rather hear her horse whinny than a boy call". I love it! The outside of a horse is the best thing for the inside of a little girl.

16. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

How very sad for the foster child. I too wonder what kind of adult problems she has already dealt with in her life.

As for makeup. I don't know, I guess my girls are "odd". Neither, ages 13 and 10, has expressed any interest in makeup or revealing cloths at all (and I MAKE cosmetics).

My oldest's sweatshirt says "these are the faces I love" and it's a picture of all the goat breeds.

17. straight shot

Well Lisa do ya think most can afford what you can do?

ANd If you didn't like horses do you think you would let your girls around them?

what you said makes you sound just like a person who can spend tons of the family budget on your likes.

so in reality we know your a snob but we still like ya,but we all CAN"T afford a horse to set the girls right

18. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no idea why you would say that to Lisa. There are a lot of things parents can do to keep their sons and daughters out of trouble, you don't have to have money to do that. Lisa is saying that this is what her family is involved in. If parents have daughters or sons going down the wrong path it wasn't because their family couldn't afford a horse and Lisa didn't say that. There was no reason for name calling.

19. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Really. You "know" I'm a snob? Seems to me you are the snob. You know nothing about how much I spend on horses and personally I don't know what you saw in my post that would lead you to that conclusion other than I've mentioned that my daughter wears formal attire which can be bought new, used or borrowed. Spare me the reverse snobbery. You might notice that I didn't criticize your post about allowing your 11 year old to wear makeup although I disagree with your position.

20. straight shot

the title was little girls and MAKE UP not horses!!!!!

And i will NOT cut and paste but you stated that your daughter has no interest in makeup??? Who is calling the kettle BLACK ??

Sorry but Like i said don't mean to hurt your feelings but you are OFF topic. But now we know you have better ways to manage makeup in your household with putting the rest of us under LET say your hoof???

Happy New year

ok had to edit to add, I'm happy for Lisa and her girls , I hope that in know way cut her mothering skills, I happy her girls have what . and they do and have a mother that can give them what their hearts wants.

sorry if I offened you lisa