Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upload_2018-7-20_12-30-46.jpeg

I have found several of these bugs in my can of cracked corn. Can I still feed this to my Jersey or is this better suited to feed to my chickens?

P.S. sorry if the image doesn’t attach.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,895 Posts
I wouldn't use Sevin dust.
If you have a large freezer put it in there for a day or two.

You could also heat it to about 150* to kill them.
The chickens will just eat them dead or alive, but killing them keeps them from spreading.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thank you M5farm. And the sevin duct won’t hurt if the cow eats it?
Tons and tons of feed treated with sevin has been fed to animals. a light dusting on a bag of corn is not going to hurt anything. I am pretty sure the naysayers will show up and tell you your great grandkids will be born naked becuse you handled sevin on july 20 2018. carbaryl is widely used as a pesticide and if treated and handled properly you shouldn't have any ill effects from it. I have personally treated thousands of tons of corn going into grain bins with it and turn around the next day and start grinding cow and hog feed out of the bins. the real corn meal you buy in the store will have the larve in the bag and if not used in a timely manner they will hatch out in your pantry.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,895 Posts
the real corn meal you buy in the store will have the larve in the bag and if not used in a timely manner they will hatch out in your pantry.
That's why it makes sense to put it in a freezer for a few days.
If I had to deal with tons of grain I'd add DE instead of a poison no matter how "safe" it may be.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Irrespective, they are weevils and will not hurt your cattle or anything else that may eat it. As a matter of interest, your flour is full of weevil eggs and if you leave it for long enough, you will have weevly flour. But you eat flour with impunity and it's never hurt you. I'm sure most of us at some stage have found weevils in the soup mix, pearl barley, split peas, rice etc.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Yes, Ronnie, and on the rare occasion that I've found them, I gag and throw whatever it is in the trash (or give to the chickens cause anything that eats humongous spiders won't be bothered by a few little creepy crawlers). LOL!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it was my last 50# bag of cracked corn and it was towards the end of the bag. I just feed it out as normal and no ill effects. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts