Little bucky got into my azaleas

Discussion in 'Goats' started by yarddog4jc, Apr 1, 2006.

1. yarddog4jc

yarddog4jc Well-Known Member

My little bucky got into some azaleas yesterday as I was planting. This morning I saw a good bit of light brown diareah and little bucky was not himself. And he was eating his own poo. :eek: Can I just wait it out or should I be worried? I tried giving him some baking soda but he is not interested. Any suggestions?

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Get him to the vet NOW. Azaleas are VERY poisonas(sp). I had a doe get into a rhodie which is related to a azalea and she got very sick and lost her kids.

MotherClucker

3. yarddog4jc

Thanks all, I called the vet and she said there is probally nothing I could do and she tried to prepare me for the worst. I gave gatorade, tried some molases in water, didn't like that and went back to the gatorade. He drank 1/2 gal. and was back to his old self this evening when I fed them. Man, I was worried as he was staggering around like a drunk sailor this morning. I brought him down to the shed and gave him his own private bowl of goat chow :sing: let him know I appreciate him. :dance:

4. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

You are lucky- my goats had to have their stomach's pumped :( But they were ok after that :0)

Susie

5. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

You should always have a big tube of activated charcoal handy in case of accidental poisoning. Jeffers sells the tubes and they aren't expensive and could save a life. Your goat probably didn't eat very much of the azalea plants so you are lucky. Next time he may consume a fatal amount. Giving him charcoal should help expel the toxins from his body until you get him to the vet should this ever occur again.

Activeted charcoal (4th item down on this page)

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/products.asp?CID=2&dept_id=519&Area=&browselist=457&sort=&c=31

this tube of activated charcoal needs an applicator gun like the one used for Probios.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&pf_id=16569

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Thank you Sharon, my parents planted Azaleas before we gound out they were poisnous, and I asked her if I should get a shovel. She said no, but thank God that our goats eat side of the yard when the DO get out, which has been stopped. I am going to tell my mom about the anti poisen stuff. Thank you. Bye the way glad to hear that your little guy is doing better yarddog4jc. I hope and pray that he continues to be fine. Good Luck, bye.

7. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

8. yarddog4jc

Good idea, say witchysharon what is the shelf life of that probios? Do you have to refridg. it? I got a Jeffers catalog, thanks.

9. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Ummmm....are you interested in the Activated Charcoal for accidental poisoning?..... or Probios, which is a probiotic and totally different than activated charcoal??

The Activated Charcoal is used for accidental poisonings of any kind. Once opened, Activated Charcoal has a shelf life of 1 year. If unopened, it has a shelf life of 2 years. It is not necessary to refrigerate. Store at room temperature.

Probios is a source of live, naturally occurring microorganisms to maintain healthy microbial balance in the digestive tract. Feed before and after transporting, showing, breeding and to help goats recovering from surgery or heavy antibiotic therapy. Stimulates appetite following stressful events. Shelf life for the Probios 'paste' is about 8 weeks since it contains live organisms. "Chr. Hansen has tested Probios TC strains in various feeds and premixes, and stability is about eight weeks under farm or feed mill conditions"

12 - 18 months shelf life if kept refrigerated.

Dried probiotics have an extended shelf life if stored as recommended (i.e., stored in a cool, dry place, kept from moisture.

"Other conditions such as heat and sunlight can also kill probiotic microorganisms, even in the dry state. For the longest shelf life for any probiotic, keep tightly sealed and refrigerated. Dried forms may also be frozen once, but not repeatedly thawed and refrozen. Freezing can extend potency past the expiration date. Paste and liquid probiotics must be refrigerated, but cannot be frozen. They have a similar shelf life if kept sealed and refrigerated.

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Goatmarm, it is yarddog4jc's goat that got into Azaelas, not mine, I just said that our goats don't get into them because they don't go on that side of the house when they escape, which has been stopped. Sorry if I confused anyone. Bye.

11. yarddog4jc

Thanks witchy sharon.