Little Bitsy Teeny Weinie...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by QBVII, May 7, 2006.

1. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

...house, that is.

We're all excited to be going back to our "crib" in KY.

We want to have a huge garden, chickens, who knows what else. There is already a barn and a pond there.
    About five acres, more or less.
    We rent this little house and the land is ours to use as we wish. Water is supplied by the well.
    Anyway, I was saying that maybe if we use scavenged material and our own labor, that maybe we could build a room onto the house ourselves (assuming the landlord would agree to that.)
    It is only a 2 BR, 1 BA. It's a nice, solid house, but with the two children of different genders it can be difficult at times. So I was thinking perhaps we could round up enough stuff to build a room on, but everybody says it would cost at least $10K (or more) to build on a room addition.....so.....can anybody think of options?

I thought maybe we could use a little storage shed as another "bathroom" or something.....I don't know....there has to be a way to do something....has anyone been faced with this dilemna?

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    i would add on a pole structure like building a deck and put a little room on it.
    8x12 is big enough to put a bed across the end and make a nice cabin bedroom. You could easily do this for under 1000 dollars if you are frugal and keep it very simple. Insulate it well including the floor and heat it with a little electric baseboard. PM me and I can do you a little drawing and materials list.
    Easy project.

3. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

If it were me I'd buy the place before I made any improvements like that. To me that's quite a bit of money to invest in a place that wasn't mine. Just my 2 cents....

4. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Are either of your children old enough to be able to handle being in a small travel trailer parked next to the house? Would it be possible to subdivide the largest bedroom with a temporary wall? How much attic space do you have? Could a small efficiency apartment be built in the barn? Just thinking out loud here...... :shrug:

5. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

These are all good ideas - FolioMark, I sort of had the same idea......when the other people said it would cost $$$$, they must have been thinking "a real room", etc...I was thinking along the lines of what you describe.
    Obviously, we're not going to put $$$ in someone else's house.
    He might allow us to buy the property - haven't asked him yet.
    In any case, I just wanted more space because once we move back there, we will probably be there for at least 3 or 4 years. Just need more room. Thanks so much for the suggestions, FolioMark, I am PM'ing you...

6. Goldwave

Goldwave Active Member

Any way to incorporate part of the barn structure in logical fashion?