Little 'A' frame on about 1 acre SW Virginia

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pigeon Lady, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Just thought I'd post this since it's under a hundred thousand and has no restrictions. Would make a nice little starter homestead for a single mom. Trout fishing close by.

I haven't seen it in person and have no affiliation with the seller. Well, other than that we bought our farm through this agency. I like to look at their website now and then and thank God that we found our dream home before prices went up so much!

http://www.virginiamountains.com/realestate/peddlers.shtml

Pauline

2. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Fine little cabin and the other homes featured on the website are pretty darn nice, too! Virginia has to be one of the most beautiful states. I love it there.

Thanks for posting!

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Its a cute little place but is anyone else APPALLED by the idea that this place could be worth 65 K on less than one acre of land. You could probably buy all the materials for less than 5-8 k if you were frugal and it wouldnt take a decent handyman carpenter more than two weeks to build the place. That leaves a whole lot of 65k left to improve the place. I think the only people who got a bargain in Virginia land came in the 17th c. :) Bet it sells quick though. :rolleyes:

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Or perfect for a couple with no children!

Nice little place. You'd have to cut down some trees though, if you wanted a large garden.

Donsgal

5. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

With a couple of caveats:

one: neighbors. Make sure they're not a bunch of freaks since you will be living there alone and it is secluded. Invest in a good quality firearm of your choice and learn how to use it.

two: make sure the trout stream won't flood the house

three: fire protection and insurance. Make sure there's a fire deparment nearby, if there isn't you may want to invest in a large water storage tank and a pump.

four: accesability during winter. getting snowed in with a sick or injured child would be a nightmare. make sure the roads are passable during the winter or invest in a snowcat

Barring all that, and hey, I'll admit to being a big old worrier, I'd say go for it. The location is beautiful and the house is downright cute!

6. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I think you are right Mark. For sixty five thousand, I could build a lot nicer log home than that on more land quick.

Virginia is a beautiful state but the regulations is getting worse every day.
    According to how the electians go, there may be even another tax raise around the corner.
    I am trying to get out of this God forsaken commenwealth.
    I wouldn't sujest anyone moving to this state.
    JMHO
    God Bless
    Dennis

7. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Mark, you're right about the price! I was thinking the same thing.

Prices have gone through the roof here since we were looking for a homestead. What would have been listed at about $130,000 2 years ago is now listed at over $200,000!

But, having said that we absolutely love it here! Crime is very low - Young son and I lived here alone for a year before Dh retired from the military -34 acre farm down a dirt track in the back of beyond. Was never afraid. The people are great, neighbors are good neighbors.

Sorry you're not so enthused about Virginia Dennis. We've been to almost every state in the union and lived on both coasts but this is Heaven to us.

Pauline

8. carly

carly on winged flight...

Since i know that area very well, NO I am not at all surprised that it is 65,000---but I am surprised it is not more. Meadows of Dan is an absolutely georgeous place!!! People are downhome and right friendly. I would say it is priced about right, and maybe a little on the low side.

I would go there in a NY minute if I were alone and it were livable year round.