Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, why doesn't someone market a good-sized square or round litter box? My three cats are just as likely to stand in their large oblong ones sideways, pee over the edge, and scoop litter out, either onto the boot trays I use under the boxes, or onto the floor. They aren't a bit interested in covered boxes. OK with me since cleaning those is even more annoying :yuck:

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Someone on here awhile ago posted about making a litter box from a plastic tote. Would work well with having deep sides I would think.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have two inside only cats, one of which likes to both frolic in the clean litter and refuses to crouch all the way down (she'll play in it but she doesn't want it by her butt while she does her business?) which resulted in a lot of spilled litter and her routinely peeing over the edge of the box. We bought one of these a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it. It has cut down a lot on the "spilled" litter and completely eliminated the peeing outside of the box issues.

I know quite a few people who buy plastic storage containers (with higher sides) and just use that as a litter box quite successfully.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I use large totes for my cats. It works great! I've never had one pee or poop out of the box while standing in it.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
I've used those large oil pans (for changing oil in cars) as litter boxes. They are larger than regular litter boxes and have taller sides.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
One of our kitties was diabetic and blind during his last couple of years. He tinkled often and a lot and bless his heart, he thought if he got his front feet in litter, he was good to go. Funny though, only to tinkle - when he pooped, he made it to the litter - he couldn't quite get the covering it up, but he tried. He would stand there and paw litter, never getting a drop on the pile.

We did cut a hole in a large tub and it helped some.

Now I have to figure out a way to get the smell out of that room, the floor was wooden, and it soaked in. I've tried vinegar and anything else I could think of, and nothing seems to work.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Trixie, you need an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the urine smell. I've used Nature's Miracle with success, but other folks will swear by different products. As long as it has enzymes in it it will reduce or eliminate the smell. Nature's Miracle also makes a stronger product that is just for cat urine, which I haven't tried since the regular stuff has always worked for me.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yeah they sell litter boxes that are like giant totes. But buying the tote is *way* cheaper. Just cut a hole in the lid, and the cat drops down into it from above. I have heard some cats don't like using that style though.
And my cat I had all her life until 22ish years old, I can't imagine how she would have used that her last few years of life on those shaky little legs of hers.

To help with missed pottying... super high sides, or a lid makes a difference. Then you can set it on top of something else to catch the missed stuff. I had our entire laundry room floor in that area covered in plastic sheeting that I could just lift up and rinse off. I sprinkled baking soda on the sheeting to absorb and missed pee.
This was all in the last months of my cat's life, when she did the 'I am touching litter, so I made it' pees. I had even modified her box into just a cake pan sitting on top of a larger baking sheet which was on top of the baking soda plastic, as she could no longer climb the steps into her deep sided litter box. She made the effort to potty in that combination until her last couple of days when her legs gave out on her and she could no longer walk. :(

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
In my small town there were two sisters who grew old together and lived in the biggest house in town. They solved their litter box problem with taking a spare room and dumping in huge amounts of sawdust, then once every year their handy man would shovel it out. So you could try that. :D

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
But buying the tote is *way* cheaper. Just cut a hole in the lid, and the cat drops down into it from above. I have heard some cats don't like using that style though.
Yep, go to Walmart or Dollar General and buy one of the big plastic totes. Use heavy scissors to cut a hole in the side (high enough up that no bodily functions could come out), dump in cat litter, put the lid on - and you are good to go.

The lid makes a good place for one of the sticky air fresheners. And I usually put baking soda in the bottom of the tote before putting in the cat litter.

Every once in a while, take the cat littler "tote" outside to pour in hot water and some bleach to disinfect it, let it dry in the sun, and you could put it back to work.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
We have been using Rubbermaid totes for about 20 years instead of those shallow and useless litter boxes. We have used the three sizes and never had a problem. The largest one is great for a cat who does not seem to know where its behind is! The high walls of the tote make it impossible to spray over. And cats seem to really like the privacy.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I think that, when people blame the litter box for the sins of the cat, it's probably time for some serious soul searching.

(Check to make sure that you still have yours.)

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I had a cat that I had to use the enclosed boxes as if I didn't she would pee over the edge. The other cat wouldn't use that box, so I had to keep them separated a good bit. I did put a large tray underneath in case the problem cat used the open box. I did find that a high sided box also helped most of the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts