Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,854 Posts
John Camp, AKA John Grisham, was a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter for the St. Paul Pioneer Press and Dispatch before becoming an author. My first job was paperboy for that paper. Grisham's fictional hero, Lucas Davenport, lives on my old paper route. Aside from Grisham's books being well written and fun to read I enjoy the action taking place in my old stomping grounds.

· Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,236 Posts
My San Antonio friend's son, Rick Riordan, is a well known author. His detective series included scenes in San Antonio and Austin, including his mom's house, where I've been many times.

He's also known for another young adult book series, starting with Percy Jackson, The Lightening Thief.

· Registered
44,118 Posts
John Camp, AKA John Grisham, was a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter for the St. Paul Pioneer Press and Dispatch before becoming an author. My first job was paperboy for that paper. Grisham's fictional hero, Lucas Davenport, lives on my old paper route. Aside from Grisham's books being well written and fun to read I enjoy the action taking place in my old stomping grounds.
Did you mean, "John Sandford, real name John Roswell Camp"?

· newfieannie
10,881 Posts
i've never heard of that book The Paw mentioned but i want it. i see i can get it through indigo and have it delivered to Chapters which is just around the corner. i think it would be interesting if only for the fact that my husbands people emigrated to that area in 1860 or so. ~Georgia

· Registered
75 Posts
I recently wrote 2 books of fiction with the Red River Gorge as a setting. These were collaborations with my wife and can be found under our respective pen names: Maribeth Wagner and B Camp. The titles are THE RED RIVER GORGE KILLER and LOST IN THE RED RIVER GORGE. Both can be found on amazon/kindle ebooks.
I also wrote two science fiction books: ADAM II and ADAM II VOLUME 2. These are post apocalyptic with genetic engineering, mutants, etc. Some of you might find them interesting. All are available on Kindle unlimited and some are free right now.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
i've never heard of that book The Paw mentioned but i want it. i see i can get it through indigo and have it delivered to Chapters which is just around the corner. i think it would be interesting if only for the fact that my husbands people emigrated to that area in 1860 or so. ~Georgia
The title refers to the two bridges (Arlington St Bridge and Salter Bridge) that span the railyards that bisect Winnipeg's North End. A lot of immigrants lived in poor housing right next to the tracks, and many of them were railway labourers or teamsters that hauled goods.

Google images can give you a pic of the Arlington St bridge which is still standing. The Salter Bridge was replaced by the Slaw Rebchuk bridge.

· Registered
4,854 Posts
I'm sure most areas have had books written about them, fiction or fact. One of the most interesting fact books about St. Paul is "John Dillinger Slept Here".

Back in the age of gangsters, 1920s and 30s, the police chief in St. Paul declared the city a sanctuary city for them as long as they practiced their profession elsewhere. Of course he got a little kickback from them. St. Paul became the vacation spot for Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, Machine Gun Kelly, and Ma Barker and the boys. The local police even tipped the gangsters off to FBI raids. Sometimes the warning wasn't in time. Dillinger had to shoot hiw way out of an apartment on Lexington Ave.

This arrangement worked even though some of the crooks would hold up banks across the river in Minneapolis when they needed a little walking around money. It finally fell apart when Ma Barker, Alvin (creepy) Karpis, and the boys started kidnapping prominent residents of St. Paul. First was Theodore Hamm Jr. of the Hamms beer fortune. Next was a prominent banker, Edward Bremmer. He dropped his daughter, Betty, off at school and was kidnapped when he stopped for the stop sign at the end of the block. Betty was my mom's best friend and we referred to her as Aunt Betty when we were growing up. Probably explains why I find this chapter of St. Paul's history so fascinating.

Anyhow, the police chief found out that appeasing the bad guys doesn't work. A bit later Nevill Chamberlain found out the same thing and Joe will too.

· newfieannie
10,881 Posts
see i find all this stuff fascinating! maybe i was a gangster in another life . who knows. i was watching Dillinger last night at midnight. starring Mark Harmon. it was interesting but i never know what's true or not. now this book would likely tell it all or most of it. that's another one i have to get. thanks! ~Georgia

1 - 16 of 16 Posts