Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been sewing and listening to the scanner today. I can get police/fire/ambo in a rather large city nearby. I listen a lot, so nothing surprises me, but today was a call for diaper rash and one for Mucinex overdose. Those were firsts for me!

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I don't know about Karen, but in my line of work you can be sued and lose your job/contract if you talk about patients at all. There was a big deal about someone just recently who was overhead talking about a patient and, even though no names were mentioned and nothing derogatory was said, the patient was able to be recognized by the particulars of the case. Charges were filed, she lost her job and will never be hired in that field again and was fined $10,000 and, I think, community service!

I've done thousands of ER reports over the years and could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end or have you rolling in the floor, but even before HIPAA a contingency of my contracts was signing a strict confidentiality agreement.

Way back in the mid 80s when I worked at a hospital, I knew some medical record clerks who were discussing a patient while they had lunch in the cafeteria. What they didn't know was that the patient's family was at the next table. They all lost their jobs and had to find work in a different field because no one would hire them. They take this stuff pretty seriously and even more so since HIPAA went into effect.

Unfortunately, it tends to work against the patients in a lot of instances because it also protects us from sharing info on all the doctors who make regular serious or even life-threatening mistakes in patient care or during surgery. It's definitely a double-edged sword.

The one thing I can tell you is...all those crazy, hard to believe scenarios you see on medical shows? You can be sure that they actually occurred somewhere at least once, lol, and some even wilder. :D

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I sure wish everyone would get fired for turning over my medical records to Unkle, and storing them in one single database.. Also for asking me questions that are none of their business..

But back to the OP... I thankfully only hear a lot of crazy wacky stuff on my fire radio I'm so glad I don't have to respond to... It's usually either in another area, or for a different type of responder.. .

·
Registered
622 Posts
my sister called 911 then she did what is NOT FUNNY she shot herself and died, She needed HELP. Oh yes so funny!! HAHA

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Coco, obviously this is a sore spot for you, and for good reason. I’m very sorry about your sister and would never make fun of someone in pain. I was referring to the odd, funny or scary things I’ve heard, but I’m truly sorry if what I said offended you. I hope you find peace and will say a prayer for you.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
The ambulance station is 5 miles from here and on a clear day you can hear the siren start and then you listen to gauge which direction they're heading and then you think of all the people you know that live in that direction and then you worry it might be one of them or something worse like a traffic wreck or a fire, but the fire sirens are different sounding to the ambulance and come from the other side of town. . . I do have good hearing, but I peter out about 8 miles out.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
The ambulance station is 5 miles from here and on a clear day you can hear the siren start and then you listen to gauge which direction they're heading and then you think of all the people you know that live in that direction and then you worry it might be one of them or something worse like a traffic wreck or a fire, but the fire sirens are different sounding to the ambulance and come from the other side of town. . . I do have good hearing, but I peter out about 8 miles out.
If we hear an ambulance or a fire siren, we do the same thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts