Listen...you guys have always been so wonderful to me and my stupid questions.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dlangland, Nov 15, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

So, it's the middle of this raging wind/ice/snow storm, so I decide I might as well cook something to hopefully heat up the house. Now, do you think I can get my fridge door to close all the way? Unreal. A simple little something I would normally be able to figure out, but the harder I am working at it, the worse it is getting. I am so ready to just go to bed tonight, tie the sucker shut as best I can with twine, my only available string. I can't for the life of me figure out what I did, and I am certainly not going door-to-door to my true farm neighbors in the middle of a blizzard...Just my weird luck...Serves me right for just wanting to heat up my house by cooking...And, I seem to be making it worse. Not a good thing. What am I not thinking of, please? Yes, I already tried pulling all my bottom fridge drawers in and out. I never had this stupid problem before. Then, as always, the more frustrated I get, the worse it goes. Not a big deal, but it rather is...Thank you, Deb

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Look on the gasket on the door. The gasket is magnetic. Something could have fallen and become attached to the gasket thus preventing the door to close completely

3. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

The first thing I would do is check the rubber gasket, sometimes they slip around their track and bunch up, usually in a corner.
    If it has a moving handle with a latch, try holding the latch out/open while you are closing it, kind of like a car door that thinks it's already closed, and can't latch(?)
    Is the light switch going in easily?
    Another thing to consider, can you lube the hinges?
    Did the hinges slip out of alignment? That would bind or twist the door.
    The way I see it either
    1. there is something physically holding it open
    - or-
    2. the door is binding/twisting
    there might be a whole lot I haven't thought of, though...

good luck

(by the way, we only have high winds, no ice or snow tonight)

4. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

No, I so appreciate your answer, Nature Lover...You guys and gals have always been so very good to me here. That shows how very rarely I am cold enought to go to the bottom depths of my fridge to cook. I am sure all you guys are laughing now. Maybe that is a good thing. I think it was just me freaking out in the storm tonight...A whatever could go wrong, would thing...I never had a simple problem like this, and that shows how often I go to the depths of my fridge. I got frustrated, I'm so very sorry. I just finished totally pulling both bottom drawers out, and setting them on my kitchen floor. Hey, it works for now, and the door finally closes. Go figure, becaus eI did try that before I typed here. Honestly...It works and closes for now. I will deal with it in the morning. I am so very relieved. I know it was just me and the moment, and I do apologize. I get so very uptight amd freaked out in windstorms, much less snow/ice storms away...I just don't think straight. I was just thinking to myself...Gosh, I can't even keep my front or back doors closed in this wind, this is the last thing I need to worry about tonight. Thank you so very much. I do so appreciate your help and thoughts. I feel stupid alright, and I want to
    cry. Deb

5. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's laughing...
    We've had a heck of a rain- then wind- storm all day, and it has me on edge, too.
    I've been outside three times to find out what was blowing aroung making that new racket.
    It was the tree limbs on my metal chimney cap, the dog's kiddie wading pool against the chain link fence - I mean flat up against it, almost as tall as the fence, and held there. That last noise I haven't figured out yet...
    NOW you're all laughing!

Deb, turn on the radio and try to get some sleep, tomorrow at least you'll have new snowfall to admire, I'll just have muddy windfall to collect for kindling.

"could be worse.... could be raining..." - Young Frankenstein

6. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I know. Thank you for being so sweet. Deb

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Hindges are adjustable and can slip out of place if they are mounted on top of the unit, look for wear marks on the hindge, return it to the previous place it was mounted if its obevious.

8. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Easiest way to adjust the hinges is to loose both of them close the door , prop up the end away from the hinges so it s level with the hinge end ,then get someone to lean on tthe door and tighten the hinges .