Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
More action by The Cabal

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

I'm surprised to see some businesses listed, although it won't hurt my shopping too much.

Please keep this thread as an issue that effects all of us, especially those homesteaders that need protection from wildlife, rather than turning it political.
I think these businesses, and their leadership, probably view guns like many urban dwellers. They see a lot of high visibility media action from collectors, recreational shooters, and hardline NRA advocates. They hear relatively little about the legitimate homestead uses as a tool to put down animals, protect against wildlife, etc.

I know that when I moved out to the country, having grown up in the city, it was eye-opening for me. Seems obvious if you grow up in the country, but sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

It just seems to me that better communication about these purposes, along with a more flexible attitude on reasonable restrictions, would have the potential to yield very workable solutions. But I don't see much likelihood of that given the political and cultural lines that have been drawn in the sand....

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm surprised by some on the list as well, but I do enjoy seeing these list. It helps me know where my business should be going. Of all of the companies listed, only two would affect me in any way. Ebay, which is easily deleted from my usage. Delta airlines is a tad harder since they are the ONLY airline that comes to the nearest airport to me. I suppose I can always drive a bit further to use a different airline, or better yet, simply drive myself to my destination.

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
Walmart was not on the list

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
They see a lot of high visibility media action from collectors, recreational shooters, and hardline NRA advocates.
You do understand our 2nd amendment has NOTHING to do with animal management, hunting, or target practice?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What are out options to avoid using Microsoft?....The only other one on the list that we've used is GE and we were sorry we put their crap in our new home...never again, even if they weren't on the list.

Yum Brands is on the list-- beware-- they own everything from KFC to Pepsi to Taco Bell to Pizza Hut etc etc. You may be supporting them without knowing it..

Dick's Sporting Goods is on the list. I always laugh at that..My son worked for them temporarily...Note that that is not a guy's name-- it's a descriptive reference, as their inclusion on the list augments the evidence.

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
What are out options to avoid using Microsoft?....The only other one on the list that we've used is GE and we were sorry we put their crap in our new home...never again, even if they weren't on the list.
GE sucks. I quit them about two houses ago. GE did recently sell their appliance business to, wait for it,,, China

·
Registered
21,254 Posts
Walmart was not on the list

I think Walmart makes their decisions based on their business rather than political issues. They have to know the majority of their customers have nothing against guns. Their decision to stop selling guns, at least in some stores, was likely based on a cost/benefit analysis. There isn't a lot of profit in selling guns and it pretty well keeps at least one employee at the desk full time. They probably didn't like the political climate of liberals pushing new liability laws for gun makers and sellers either.

Reactions: doc-

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
I think Walmart makes their decisions based on their business rather than political issues. They have to know the majority of their customers have nothing against guns. Their decision to stop selling guns, at least in some stores, was likely based on a cost/benefit analysis. There isn't a lot of profit in selling guns and it pretty well keeps at least one employee at the desk full time. They probably didn't like the political climate of liberals pushing new liability laws for gun makers and sellers either.
Sure, but ending the sales of guns is one thing, removing the 2nd is all together different. That said, I took some satisfaction in knowing the behemoth that is Walmart was not on the list.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Similar to Yum brands mentioned above, most people probably don't know that Alphabet, Inc is Google, Android, Nest, YouTube and a few others. There were actually a number of corporations on the list that many people probably do business with without even realizing simply because their brand names weren't listed.

·
Dallas
13,852 Posts
Other than Alphabet (Google and You Tube) Microsoft (Windows) and YUM (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC) I don't do business with these companies. I don't use Office - Libre Office is just as good
Google can be replaced with Duck Duck Go and we really only eat at a YUM restaurant once every couple months.
Good list though, I now know other companies to avoid using.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I am already using Duck Duck Go as my search engine on all my computers now. And I use Firefox rather than Chrome or Edge. Of all on the list, (Alphabet) Google is the one to fear the most.

Reactions: doc-

·
Premium Member
25,278 Posts
I'm kind of surprised to see Uber on the list. But maybe they don't want their drivers to be capable of protecting themselves.

·
Super Moderator
13,686 Posts
Posted 2/22/21 10:46 PM CST

No more auto zone parts or Subway sandwiches for me and I dropped GEICO years ago for better insurance. Advance Auto Parts and O'Reilly while often a bit more expensive usually has better quality parts and I can get sub sandwiches elsewhere.

The only service I have to deal with the devils on is my landline phone as AT&T is the only copper wire service in my area.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I am already using Duck Duck Go as my search engine on all my computers now. And I use Firefox rather than Chrome or Edge. Of all on the list, (Alphabet) Google is the one to fear the most.
Firefox is closely associated with Google (Alphabet). Google is Evil. Down with Big Brother.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts