Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
17,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard that many diets result in a return of the weight shortly after leaving the diet. Is liposuction like that or is it a longer-term solution?

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,637 Posts
I believe the difference is when you lose weight through diet, you still have the same number of fat cells, just with less fat in them. With liposuction, some of your fat cells are removed.

New fat cells can be created, so diet is also required with liposuction.

·
Premium Member
18,077 Posts
We've changed our lifestyle. It's not a temporary weight loss diet. It was a change in our consumption lifestyle. I have lost 75 pounds. Since we are planning to maintain this lifestyle the rest of our lives, I doubt if I will ever gain the weight back. Liposuction seems temporary, unhealthy, and dangerous to me.

·
Banned
17,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only gained 3 pounds a year but over the period of 40 years only gained 3 pounds but over the period of 40 years it really begins to add up
With my knees messed up it definitely makes it hard to exercise not to mention the fact the extra weight just generally slows you down.
I figure if I could liposuction a substantial chunk of that out the increase in exercise combined with the diet might work out and keep it off
Honestly if I went back to my old habit of gaining 3 pounds a year it wouldn’t be terrible

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I weigh the same at 20 yo 37 years later. Never did gain weight except for a few winters
Now I do all my hiking in the winter and stay 210-220.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Eat the calories, don't work it off, gain the weight.
Lipo takes some out, no issue at all with gaining it back if you don't change diet or burn the extra calories.

I know 3 people that had a section of gut 'Removed', it's not hauled out of the body, but it's removed from the rest of the gut, and looped to itself with blood supply.
By shortening the upper digestive tract, you don't absorb as many calories.
It worked on 2 of 3, the third slowly gained most of the weight back, but he eats loads of rich food.

I dropped 100 pounds when I started eating mostly from the garden.
Garden work combined with clean food, lots of produce it just fell off and I have no idea where it went.
Steroids after surgery put fat on you FAST... No exercise after bone grafts, and on steroids you CRAVE fats and sugar 24/7, and it got out of hand, and genetically I come from heavy people.
Moving to the country and farming/gardening/building was the best thing I ever did.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
One thing to remember with Lipo, if you gain weight back and have had some fat cells removed the fat cells (elsewhere) are the ones growing and you may not like where those cells are located on your body.... :eek:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Please research fasting as an option. Below is an interesting anecdote of a fellow that fasted for over a year as an example. You can google the "snake diet" for a basic electrolyte mix you can make for a few bucks -potassium, salt and magnesium. This will avoid most of the ill feeling you might associate with not eating for the first day. It's worth noting that long-term fasting also seems to avoid loose skin. I'd not necessarily recommend a year o_O but 2-4 days periodically might work wonders. Keto is effective (I do this generally and fasting) but fasted states are an order of magnitude more effective.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2018/02/story-angus-barbieri-went-382-days-without-eating/

·
Registered
594 Posts
I’ve lost 30 pounds in 30 days fasting.
The fat cells seem too refill quickly after ending your fast.
Wow that's a lot further than I've ever gone. Just to play devil's advocate for the fast (talking water only fast here), a lot of that may have been water weight? When I'm fasting or doing keto type diets a lot of water is lost. I think i read somewhere that as much as 20lbs on an average person can be lost in water weight and that isn't taking into account edema and other swelling if you have inflammation. I can imagine after all that discipline that gaining it back was pretty infuriating but maybe just a few days a week fasted would work. I think max metabolism increase happens at 48 hour mark so you might also get a slight boost in resting metabolism 2 out of 7 day fast.

Anyways, props for the 30 day fast that's pretty impressive

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
A good friend I used to work with did a 40 day fast every spring. It was a cleansing as well as spiritual practice for him. He was an extreme body builder. He took only water and juice. Yes, most of his weight loss was water but he wasn’t trying to drop pounds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife gained a lot of weight having our two boys. We also didn’t eat the best but the biggest thing that helped?
Smaller plates.
If I put a standard 11” plate in front of 100 people, 99 will fill it up.
Take a smaller 7 1/2” plate and they will do the same.
But less food.
My wife’s the weight she was when we met.
No diet worked.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
It's all simple math. Easy to do. Hard for most to find the willpower to do it. Much easier to do fad diets and radical medical procedures.

·
Super Moderator
40,780 Posts
A few years back I decided to lose some weight. Instead of eating my usual seven lemon cream cookies after supper I only ate five. Lost about twenty pounds the first month. For whatever reason my Yvonne was furious! :eek:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My wife gained a lot of weight having our two boys. We also didn’t eat the best but the biggest thing that helped?
Smaller plates.
If I put a standard 11” plate in front of 100 people, 99 will fill it up.
Take a smaller 7 1/2” plate and they will do the same.
But less food.
My wife’s the weight she was when we met.
No diet worked.

Years back we switched from eating off dinner plates to dessert plates for every meal. My 16 year old last month was flabbergasted that the dinner big plates in the cupboard are what most people eat their meals off of they are not just serving plates. I did it to help prevent the children from wasting food.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts