Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I've never made it from a kit. I have purchased the tubes in bulk, and give them out at Christmas and many friends love it. You can purchase your own beeswax, Almond oil and Shea butter - check your local organic store to see if it would be cheaper. When I first started making mine, to try out recipes I purchased the tubes at Hobby Lobby (either when they were half off or with the 40% off coupon). Now you can get the tubes on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Balm-Tubes-Caps-Natural-Clear/dp/B006WBEGNI
So I would suggest checking prices before purchasing the kit. I personally don't like the jars of lip balm - I find sticking my fingers in it icky since I can't always wash my hands when I need balm.

To make about 20-25 tubes, I use the following recipe:
1.5 oz beeswax pearls
1 oz coconut oil (I use organic)
0.8 oz of almond oil (or sunflower, or grapeseed, or other oil)
15 drops of vitamin E oil
10 drops of essential oil (rosemary, peppermint, orange etc.)

Melt 1st 3 ingredients over very low heat, once melted add other oils and pour into tubes, let harden, then cover and label.

I find a small science beaker (about 150ml) is great for pouring these, well worth the investment.

To pour the tubes, it helps if you have something to hold the tubes in place. I use a piece of something like flowers are pushed into, and pushed about 20 tubes into it to make indentations to hold them. This helps keep them from falling over while you are pouring. I keep saying I'm going to take about a 1' 2"x4" and drill a bunch of holes in it with the drill press, but have never gotten around to doing so.

You will need a good scale also. I don't usually use shea butter in my lip balm. I have also sometimes added a little lanolin or honey (about 1/2 tsp), or titanium dioxide (for sun protection).
Dawn

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with halfpint- if you don't mind the measuring and such yourself, buying the ingredients in bulk is a lot less expensive and more customize-able than kits, especially if you are making them for gifts and such. You're paying for the convenience of having everything together and pre-measured. Not that that is a bad thing and may be worth it to you... also a good way to try it out without buying a ton of bulk products. You could always try the kit, and if you like making it buy bulk ingredients next time.
FWIW, I did recently purchase a filling tray similar to the one Brushy Mountain sells. Very good investment if you wind up making a lot of them. It's really frustrating trying to fill those dang little tubes individually, without spilling it all over the place and before it starts to solidify.:yuck:
~nyx

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Never from kits..
I added it up and have it down to around $.70/tube

1 - 5 of 5 Posts