Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young Lionhead buck, blue tort, very nice. Unfortunately, he has wool on his ears. Does anyone know if he will pass this trait on to his offspring? I know it's a DQ on the show table, but is he worth keeping (or selling) for breeding stock?

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Huh! Anybody? :shrug:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hmm.... I would keep him and breed him to the best doe you have, no matter what the colour. See if he passes on this trait, if so, bye bye to him, if not keep him.

If you knew his mother and father it would be easier to tell....the only really way to tell is a test breeding.

Jesse
www.freewebs.com/jessescritters

·
Driftin' Away
745 Posts
How old is he? They will lose a lot of their mane as they get older. If you breed him to a single mane doe, you should be good, if you breed to a double mane you may get both types.

If he's outstanding, try it, I bet he's cuter than anything..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
HOw young is young? It should molt out if he;s just a baby.

And the other question, of course, how wooly? Like big honking hairy ears, or just fuzzy ears?

Its a breed problem, honestly. If he has everything you're looking for, then use him and just cull from there. You could try to use a clean doe. I have does with really clean ears. No mane to speak off, but great ears and a break! LOL

Gail is supposed to be changing the standard (the Standards commitee recommended it) I think they're going to take the DQ out and make it a fault?

I still think it needs to be clearer, it says no wool halfway up the ear, but well furred. Seems sort of vague to me, well furred could be slightly longer hair, or just ears with fur on them!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuzzy ears, not tassles, but definitely wool. I did see that they're trying to change the standard so it's no longer a DQ, after I posted.

He's getting on for five months at least, and has shed out a nice saddle. Quite frankly, apart from the woolly ears, he's gorgeous! I bred him, so I do know his parents, and they don't have woolly ears. I could try him on my single-mane black doe and see what we get. She has four gorgeous kits now (one of which is a foster), about nine or ten weeks old, so they are at the "tribble" stage :p. One is a beautifully marked harlequin buck and I'm soooo tempted to keep him - the other two are black does like mamma, only double-maned.

I was supposed to go pick up a little single-maned, tri-coloured buck this morning, but it's bitterly cold, very windy and where I was supposed to go, they're calling for severe snowsqualls. I decided to stay home. I was driving home in the snow last night, and slid right through a stopsign - fortunately it was on a back road, and no one was coming the other way, but I don't feel like sliding into a ditch out in the boonies (Ilderton, for you lot out that way!) and freezing to death!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, but if I keep him, I'll be up to four bucks and three does - and if I keep the harlequin buck, that'll be five bucks, but I suppose I could keep the two little black does, so I'd be five for five . . . :p

We do it because it's a challenge! Right? LOL

·
Registered
387 Posts
Now that is what you call rationalizing things out well. It would be fun to have a picture. What am I saying it is always fun to have a picture. Especially of Lionheads. I have a beautiful Siamese Sable doe that could put you over the edge.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well, you will have to see what he throw, hopfully he gets all nice kits.

A HARLEQUIN, i really like that colour, i have a really nice lionhead buck that colour. He was one of my first bucks too.

Fuzzy ears, not tassles, but definitely wool. I did see that they're trying to change the standard so it's no longer a DQ, after I posted.

He's getting on for five months at least, and has shed out a nice saddle. Quite frankly, apart from the woolly ears, he's gorgeous! I bred him, so I do know his parents, and they don't have woolly ears. I could try him on my single-mane black doe and see what we get. She has four gorgeous kits now (one of which is a foster), about nine or ten weeks old, so they are at the "tribble" stage . One is a beautifully marked harlequin buck and I'm soooo tempted to keep him - the other two are black does like mamma, only double-maned.

I was supposed to go pick up a little single-maned, tri-coloured buck this morning, but it's bitterly cold, very windy and where I was supposed to go, they're calling for severe snowsqualls. I decided to stay home. I was driving home in the snow last night, and slid right through a stopsign - fortunately it was on a back road, and no one was coming the other way, but I don't feel like sliding into a ditch out in the boonies (Ilderton, for you lot out that way!) and freezing to death!
I live about 15-20 mins away!!! Just north of London.

Jesse

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I figured you were somewhere over that way - that's why I mentioned it. :)

I'll have to get the camera out sometime. I've got the quite nice Harlequin kits as well as this harlequin Lionhead that I should get pictures of. The Harlequins are three weeks old and haven't ventured out of the nestbox yet, which is unusual. Every time I look at them, they're cuddled up like sardines, head to tail to head to tail. :cute:

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Yep, I figured you were somewhere over that way - that's why I mentioned it. :)

I'll have to get the camera out sometime. I've got the quite nice Harlequin kits as well as this harlequin Lionhead that I should get pictures of. The Harlequins are three weeks old and haven't ventured out of the nestbox yet, which is unusual. Every time I look at them, they're cuddled up like sardines, head to tail to head to tail. :cute:
You've got to get a picture of that! Hurry! Before the popples pop out all over the place! :D

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, thanks for the offer, but then DH would have had to do the chores, and I can't see him milking three goats! One, maybe.

I figured the roads would be bad up there - and when I got a reply back from the woman with the rabbits, she confirmed it. But I had fun anyway, a friend called up and asked if I had any extra eggs, as his hens are slowing down, then he dragged me out to a dog show in town.

It's supposed to be a little milder today - I might get out there with the camera. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts