Linkage? A thud.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by LvDemWings, Jul 12, 2006.

1. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I've got a 2000 Ford Focus. Last summer I was told by the dealer that I would eventually need work done on the linkage because it was a little rusty. It was making a grumbly/creaky noise while backing up and turning the stearing wheel. (This is the same noise that it was making while under warranty and they said everything was fine.) I was told that it wasn't something that I needed to take care of right away and so I didn't.

Tonight the car made a thud on the right side each time I make a turn. You can even feel it on the floor. Is this related to what the dealer said about the linkage? Do I need to be super concerned as in immediatly park it?
    I don't own any credit cards so immediate repair isn't an option. I'm probably looking at 2-3 weeks if the repair would be under $500. I drive approximately 7 miles a day if that matters.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If you can, jack up each wheel in turn and wiggle and jiggle it.
    A rattle left and right normally indicates a worn component such as a tie-rod end (where the steering rod connects to the wheel, basically)

Then stand up, face away from the car and with your hands between your legs, get your fingers under the rim of the tyre at the top and try and lift the tyre up and down - if it clunks in that direction it's normally bushes in your suspension or upper and lower ball joints that are on the way out.

You'll really have to judge for yourself how much movement determines whether you take it off the road or not. But for me, any more than 1/8" movement at the tyre left/right/up/down and I'd be saying "hmmmmm."

Take it to a tyre shop if there's one nearby - they generally do this kind of work as well while your car's up on the hoist getting wheels swapped around.
    If you're worried about cost, ask to go out with them while the car's on the hoist and see the worn out joint so you don't get the blanket "oh yah, you'll need every joint and linkage replaced" spiel. If it's a solid clunk, you'll be able to see movement in the worn part - if you put your hands on both end of the worn bit while mving it, you'll be able to tell straight away.

Generally, these kind of bits are relatively cheap - $50 for a ball joint or set of bushes, an hour's swearing to replace it, tops.

3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

From your description I'd say it's probably the outer CV joint. The thud is particularly worrysome because that was a bind.

If you've got proof of having taken the car in for this exact symptom under warranty, you've got an arguable case for warranty work to still be done. It'd be an uphill battle though.

4. LvDemWings

Well the car is now at the shop. It has 2 snapped springs as well as needing the stabelizing links replaced. Its going to be about $300 to get it fixed. Now I've got to figure out how to pay for it.

5. georger

georger Well-Known Member

I'm driving a 93 Jetta that does the Thud thing. It's the bearing at the top of the strut.

As long as the wheels don't fall off because of it, it's an survivable fault. No sense in dropping too much $$ in such an old car, just keep it patched up.

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Two snapped springs? This story isn't adding up right.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Hmmm.

With two snapped springs, your car should be sitting down on the bump stops with all the suspension of a shopping trolley.

I take it that it still drives alright? Something seems amiss.

Either that or it's been lost in translation :p

8. LvDemWings

I dunno how it happened really or when. I can believe it was both springs because the car wasn't leaning or lopsided. I do have the car back and what a difference. Its quiet going over bumps, doesn't make noise when I turn, the ride is smoother, no thuds that made the floor shake and the front end is sitting up much higher. I was told that someone was watching out for me because usually when the springs break like that it will puncture the tires.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Dont know the why fors,but 300 and runs fine,you made out OK.

BooBoo