Lineback cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by CountryFried, Jun 8, 2004.

1. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

Does anyone here raise Lineback or skunk cattle ? I've seen a recent article in Farm and Ranch magazine , and think they are pretty neat. Any ideas about how to find some ?

Thanks,
    Sherry

2. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Try the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy..www.albc-usa.org. They have a breeders list..

3. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

Well, there are linebacks and then there are linebacks. The Randall Blue Lineback is sort of a "rare breed" type of cow. Then there are lots of more common lineback cattle that seem to be more or less a neat color pattern that some people have found/bred for in their holstiens. Pretty much what you are looking at with an "American Lineback" is a nifty looking holstien for the most part.

I see two or three of them go through whenever I go to the livestock auction calf sale on mondays here in NE PA so somebody in the Wyalusing PA area has a barn full of them.

Up in New England there is also some holstien breeders with what they call "Glouchester linebacks" which are solid black colorsided with a clear white stripe like a Pinzgauer done in black. They are popular to sell as bull calves for flashy teams of 4-H oxen.

4. Jennifer122102

Jennifer122102 Active Member

My oxen are Randall Linebacks. We also have a weird looking lineback cross heifer calf we are raising to join the beef herd. I have found them to be incredibly hardy animals. The Randall's have never been sick, and only once had a spot of ringworm on their butts and it cleared up very fast. They stay on the smaller side, don't get as big as holsteins would. I love them, wish I could get more.

Jennifer

5. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

6. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

Spring77, I just read about the difference in the Linebacks, just like you said. Thanks.

Jen and Tom , appreciate the input as to your satisfaction with them, and where to look for them.

We live in E. Tenn. and I've yet to see any.

7. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

If you contact Ralph Ward, farm manager at Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, near Harrodsburg, KY, you might find some. He was raising some a few years ago. They were beautiful, and very different, seemed to be hardy.
    http://www.shakervillageky.org/