Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been talked about on here, but I still cann't understand it. So if some one could help me, I would appreciate it.
I started with Randy and Arnie. a pair of unrelated animals.
I have Kitty from their first crossing.
A litter of 6 from the same crossing. (Unknown genders)
And a litter from crossing Kitty back to Randy. (2 bucks , 3 does)
Other than selecting for good shoulders because Arnie's are a bit narrow and Randy's wider ones did show up in Kitty. I have no idea where to go from here.
Any help appreciated.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
fast growth, good meat to bone ratio, your breeding for meat i assume so any that so better meat type than the rest of the litter, in improvment over the parrents, if you have a buck show up in a litter that has better form than the original buck use him instead,

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't follow any particular pattern, like father to daughter, mother to son. Then cross off spring from those litters?
How long do you keep the buck you are replacing or do you end up with several bucks.
I don't really want to end up crossing brother and sister, or son back to Kitty after crossing her back to Randy twice.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
honestly in rabbits all of what you just said confuses the issue so much it makes my head spin,

if you were breeding pure bred something'er'other and had pedigrees, you would need to keep an exact paper trail as to who was bred to whom, but still its not going to hurt to breed brothers and sisters or mothers and sons etc. as long as you follow the simple rule of CULL CULL CULL, and ONLY keep the BEST,

and besides the fact that breeding brother and sister is actually not as close of a breeding as breeding a parent to offspring, the brother and sister did not get the same genetic code from their perrents, each got a differint little bit, but if you breed back to one of the parrents your intensifieing the genetic material from that parrent, which again is fine as long as you ONLY KEEP THE BEST AND EAT THE REST>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts