Linden Leaves

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by FeralFemale, Jan 18, 2007.

1. FeralFemale

FeralFemale Bitter Clinger

I saw a 'sleepy time tea' with linden leaves. I did a little research and it looks like it is some sort of Basswood, however, I didn't see anywhere that the leaves were useful as a sleep aid. Has anyone tried linden leaves as a sleep aid?

Thx

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Linden is Tilia cordata, T. americana, T. europea and several other species of Tilia. It is usually the flowers which are used. These can be called Linden (Lime) Flowers or Linden(Lime) Blossom. The leaves aren't usually used at all.

It's a very mild sedative, amongst other things. Linden Flowers are often included in sleep pillows.

It's important when using herbs to know which parts of the plant are used and for what purpose(s). You're unlikely to get any benefit from using the wrong parts, and you might well be doing yourself some harm if you do!

Other mild herbs you can try include catnip, chamomile, lavender, rose, hops. All these can be used in a sleep pillow.

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I will agree that linden (aka American Basswood) is a mild sedative. When my linden blooms, I go sit/stand under it and breathe deeply... and just stay there and breathe in that heady aroma... It calms and relaxes me so!

Oh! I do wish "they" made linden perfume! I would wear it always and every single day!

Pony!

4. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

we have two huge, as in twice as tall as our two story farmhouse, on our property. each late spring it attracts thousands and thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands, of bees when the flowers are in bloom.

about the tea made from the flowers...if i gathered the flowers from the lower hanging branches to dry, would you think they should be in midflower, end-of-flowering, flowers-not-open-yet stage? i could get a couple gallons' worth fairly quickly and easily.

the aroma of the flowers is intoxicating. the sounds of all those bees is an amazing thing to hear, too.
    debbie

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Best to harvest flowers in full bloom and glory, before they begin to droop and fade (late spring or early summer). Dry in shade.