Linden/American Basswood Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, I did a forum search to see if this has come up before. It hasn't.

I have a LOT of seeds from my favorite old linden tree. I tried to sprout them -- nothing happened.

Has anyone here tried to propagate these trees from seed? Do the seeds need time in cold/freezing temps? Is there some magic incantation?

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed! I want to have a whole grove of these wonderfully scented trees!

2. henk

henk Well-Known Member

hey Pony,

You didnt chose an easy plant to experiment with:

Propagation: Lindens are propagated from seed, and the cultivars are generally grafted onto seedlings. Seeds are very difficult to germinate and nursery operations employ considerable pre-treatment including cold stratification and acid scarification. If you just plant some fresh seeds in pots or in the ground and leave them outdoors, about 15% will germinate over a period of 2-3 years. Fortunately, seedlings and young trees are easy to transplant during the winter.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/tili_ame.cfm

Its prob. most cost effective to buy good quality young trees, 5 buck a tree (or less) http://www.whiteoaknursery.biz/seedling_0304.html (edit; just the first nursery i found for price indication)

Anyhow good luck,

Henk

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, thanks, Henk! Figures I'd pick a difficult one, but oh! The scent that comes from that big old tree at the end of June is just heavenly! I'll just park the hammock under it and breathe in until I fall asleep -- sweet bliss!

I'll check out those links and have a look. $5 a throw isn't bad -- but I am still going to experiment with the seeds. Glutton for punishment, that's what I am!

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I couldn't find much, either. Except that you need to collect seeds as soon as they are ripe, and plant while they are very fresh. Good luck!