Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to the pen this evening to check on the hogs and noticed one of them with a bad limp. She still gets around the pen just fine but she is putting little to no weight on it. I threw some old bread in there and she went over and ate some of it. After eating she went right back to laying down. Since she is still getting around and eating and drinking, will she be ok? I just dont want her to stop eating and start losing weight. The hogs are raised on pasture not concrete. What do you all recommend?

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
Maybe she just got stepped on by one of the others. It happens and just imagine how bad that would hurt. Keep a close eye.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is she sitting like a dog a lot? If she is she likely "split" as in pulled a groin muscle. We had one do that. Our floors are not very desirable and they can get slick. He was an active bugger, constantly mounting anything that stood still long enough. We ended up butchering him ourselves. I would separate and make feed/water easily accessible, maybe top dress feed with syrup to make it more appealing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I got one little gilt doing the exact same thing- walking around with her right leg up. She puts it down every now and again but then picks it up quickly. As I've only had her since Friday night, I think she got her leg wrenched on getting loaded or unloaded. She isn't bouncing around on her good leg like she's had this bum leg since birth or anything.
Worst case scenario she'll just have one bigger ham than the other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is doing much better now after a couple days of being lazy. She is putting full weight back on it and getting around just fine. Not sure what it was but i hope it doesn't return!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts