Limped home on two lugs

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Dec 8, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Thought it was a tire separating but it turned out to be loose lugs, had two left when I got here. Got the new ones placed but not seated, with just basic hand tools available, whats the way to do this? '87 E 150, right rear.

2. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

r the threads damaged on the studs? if not then just replace the lug nuts. if the threads r damaged u will have to replace the studs.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Studs are replaced, looking for a way to 'seat' them completely. With hand tools.

4. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Use a torque wrench.

5. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

If you can't pull them down with an old lug nut and washers then you will have to take the axle out and hammer them in. What about a 1/2" ratchet and a pipe cheater? Can you borrow an impact? Stack a couple of oversized washers on the new lug and turn the nut over to the flat side and pull it in.
    Get them seated good or you will be doing it again. Why did they get loose or should I not ask?

6. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

better to put them in the freezer over night befor installing
    use small hammer and tap in and use ratchet n socket on outside, if any shoulder is still visible use oil. want to keep from overstretching the studs

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've got an actual lug stud seating tool, it is basically a nut that fits the thread and a bearing that the nut puts pressure against. If I were using a lug nut to pull it in I would stack a couple of washers and turn the lug nut over so the flat shoulder is against the washers.

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Apparently they are errant studs. Got it reassembled and am going to check the tightness very often.

9. fixer1958

I've been trying to invent a gadget like that. Who or where did you get that from if you don't mind me asking?

10. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Had that happen once loose lugs that is. I lost all but one, Some fool loosened them as A joke. I made it 45 miles before The tire wobbled. Bought 5 new studs and nuts and0 just double nutted to seat them with A 4 way. By the way I Am bad at breaking lug nuts off. And I Am talking on semi's with A wrench and cheater bar.

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

https://www.mactools.com/portal/sit...010VgnVCM100000104d840aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

Mine is from Mac tools, that's the link to it, they make 2 different kits.
    WIS 700 and WIS 900. With the local tire shops I would keep busy installing lug studs on almost every car I tried to get the wheels off of after they had installed tires. I think they watched too much NASCAR! They would usually break one per wheel and or overtighten and strip another 1 or 2 per wheel.
    I tighten all lug nots with a torque stick on an impact gun and or a torque wrench. I've also got a few different size bearings for use when pressing things together using a forcing screw.

12. fixer1958

Beeman
    Thanks for the info. My Mac guy doesn't come around anymore so I will ask the other guys if they have anything like that. If not I will get it off that link.

13. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Go on line for that stud tool. Try Mac, Snap-On, NAPA, etc. Next time you lose a lug nut take one off each of the other wheels and you can get going again. wc

14. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

It was not lost lug nuts, it was only two lug studs remaining when I got home. The other three had broken.