Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a town about 45 min away is trying to limit where sex offenders can live inside their city limits. the planners are making the areas around child safe areas so big that by the time they get through just about the whole city will be off limits. many cities are doing this as well. where will they go??? out in the county which puts more of them around me. i dont like this. the offender created the problem in the city... the problem should stay there.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me. If the person is that big a threat to society, then they should still be in jail :shrug: No matter where they live, there will be children around. Wherever they shop there will be children.... If you ban a convicted pedophile from parks, and school grounds, what about banning from the library? Churches? Stores?

Then you get people like the teen in AL (?or was it GA) that had consensual sex with another teen and is now considered a sex offender, or the two 13yo's in WA who are being charged, and could end up under the sex offender label....

I don't have a solution other than knowing where my children are and who they are with, and even that isn't always fool proof.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Seems to me it would be better to train children to be vigilant and report to their parents if anybody tried anything. You will NEVER find all the perverts or keep them from children.

·
This is my life
3,835 Posts
a county near us has new rules that include how far from a school, bus stop, park, daycare, or anywhere children will group. ???
So where do you think they are going? out here to the wide open spaces of the country of course.

A

·
0 Posts
I believe ultimately the Supremes are going to shoot this approach to sexual offenders down.

Personally I think we're heading the wrong way with this whole sexual offender thing. We are putting people on those lists that do not really belong there.

If a person is so dangerous that we must sharply limit where they can live and must keep watch lists of them to limit who they can be near, where they can go, and what sorts of employment they can have then they are too dangerous to be walking around loose.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I Agree With Alan On The Legality Of It. When A Person Is Sentenced For A Crime That Is Their Sentence It Does Not Seem Legal To Do Anything Else To Them By The Gov. Than That. However, Due The Nature Of Their Crime Sure Dont Want Them In Our Neighborhood.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I don't know why you think the sexual offenses occured in the city.

I agree that some things are being treated severaly (a 17 year old girl with her 18 year old boyfriend, being called rape when it was consensual) and then others are not severe enough.

I think that there should be safe places all across the country where you can raise your kids without worrying that a convicted sex offender will strike again, and this would help to reduce the number of new sex offenders, since many of them are victims themselves.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The town I shop in passed a law like that. They made it illegal for a sex offender to live within 1500 feet of any place children hang out. They included schools, daycares, libraries, swimming pools, etc. It effectively makes it illegal for them to rent or buy a home in that town. The only exception is if a home was owned before the law was passed. They can't force anyone to sell their home and move, but I bet they end up harassing that person until they do sell out and leave.

Another thing I just heard about this week is the guy that put up a web page listing places where little girls hang out. He claims that he enjoys watching them, but he doesn't touch them. He actually posts pictures he takes online. Seems to me the parents of the girls should be able to do something about him taking pictures of their children and posting the pics online. Also, several thousand sex offenders have sites at myspace. Heard this on TV this week.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
PineRidge said:
This doesn't make sense to me. If the person is that big a threat to society, then they should still be in jail :shrug: No matter where they live, there will be children around. Wherever they shop there will be children.... If you ban a convicted pedophile from parks, and school grounds, what about banning from the library? Churches? Stores?

Then you get people like the teen in AL (?or was it GA) that had consensual sex with another teen and is now considered a sex offender, or the two 13yo's in WA who are being charged, and could end up under the sex offender label....

I don't have a solution other than knowing where my children are and who they are with, and even that isn't always fool proof.
If they are required to register, etc, then there should be a requirement to list the crimes. I would not be afraid of a guy who had sex as a teen w/another teen. This is just not right to have that on your head all your life.

If I had kids at home & someone who raped a child lived nearby, I'd be upset.
It's been proven that they do not rehabilitate.

Patty

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
vickiesmom said:
If you can build projects for black folks why can't you build projects for sex offenders...just asking...and not being offensive

Please show proof that any residence was specifically build for one race. If you can not do so, please be so kind as to rescind your post. Your post is offensive.

Honestly, you would be okay with someone telling you where to live based on a fact of birth or a crime you have already done you time for -- if it's not okay for you - why in the world would you believe it is okay for anyone else?

Marlene

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Spinner said:
Another thing I just heard about this week is the guy that put up a web page listing places where little girls hang out. He claims that he enjoys watching them, but he doesn't touch them. He actually posts pictures he takes online. Seems to me the parents of the girls should be able to do something about him taking pictures of their children and posting the pics online.
We had a guy like that in my area for awhile, and I made a post about it a few months ago. He would visit elementary school plays, youth soccer games, etc. to watch the girls. He would then post a report of his field trips on his website. In addition he had a calendar of future events posted on his site.

Law enforcement knew about it, laws were researched, and the conclusion was nothing could really be done within the existing legal framework unless concrete proof could be provided of harm against the girls.

That pretty much only left our community with public pressure as a means of deterring his actions. Eventually enough bad press was generated that his ISP shutdown his website, but less than 2 weeks later he signed up with an ISP overseas and his site was back up. The community eventually succeeded in counseling him out of the area, and he moved to a state where he hoped he could practice his "hobby" without "hassle from people". I think he said he was moving to CA if I recall correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts