Lime?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Galloping Goats, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

Is it lime that people use under their bedding for pest and odor control? If so what kind?

2. I use lime under my straw or wood chips. Plus I sprinkle it on top once & awhile. DH wants me to white wash with it. THat's the way the old timers used to clean their barn walls. I hate to spray it on my clean walls! :)

I'm using it to control smell in the barn & lice. Don't know if it works for both, but, it doesn't hurt anything. I also sprinkle it on the goats & rub it in, (like flea powder).

I use regular lime, my DH works at a limestone mine, so he'll bring me a bucket home.

I know there is "activated lime" & "agriculture lime". The activated lime is burnt lime I believe. I wouldn't use that on the goats.

3. I use lime under my straw or wood chips. Plus I sprinkle it on top once & awhile. DH wants me to white wash with it. THat's the way the old timers used to clean their barn walls. I hate to spray it on my clean walls! :)

I'm using it to control smell in the barn & lice. Don't know if it works for both, but, it doesn't hurt anything. I also sprinkle it on the goats & rub it in, (like flea powder).

I use regular lime, my DH works at a limestone mine, so he'll bring me a bucket home.

I know there is "activated lime" & "agriculture lime". The activated lime is burnt lime I believe. I wouldn't use that on the goats.

mamahen (not logged in!!)

4. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

The type of lime you are needing for your barn floor is called "hydrated" lime. I believe that it is made of dolomite. The "agricultural" lime will burn your animal's feet. Ask for hydrated lime at your feed store. Make sure you buy the correct kind. The wrong kind could mean disaster to your animals.

Nappy

5. thomfalter

thomfalter Member

I'm new to raising goats but my friend who has been raising champion Alpines for 17 years uses something called Stable Boy instead of lime. It is apparently much safer.

--TF