lilys

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fordson major, Jul 31, 2006.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

since we became " the city" :grump: they have been mowing a patch of lilys. when a township they mowed around the patch. was going to move them too a place they do not mow but whens the best time and how many splits can i make?

2. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

Lilies are bomb proof, when I lived in the city I would mow them after they were done blooming. Are they day lilies, asiatics or orientals? Not that it maters, you can transplant them any ol' time, the best time to go after the bulbs would be the fall. You can dig day lilies in clumps and just divide up the little bulbs and plant them. If you are really adventuress you can pull off the little scales of the asiatics and orientals and put them in pots and they will eventually flower, it takes a few years, otherwise just dig up the bulbs and move them. We have moved lilies out here in the country many times and never seem to get them all, now we have little goups of rebel lilies all over the place. It's pretty hard to kill lilies so you should be fine, happy digging.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Drive a steel post at the edge of the patch. Tends to ward off mowers.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

uncle will, ever since the city took over mowing ,the stop signs ,culvert marking posts and even the hydro poles have been mangled!! had a brush mower cut a power pole half through last fall!! :grump: however they rarely cut more than one pass in and our section of road i mow! have a nice space by a pole and a telephone ped, will be putting lotsa iron infront too!!

these are day lillies also known here as orangeman's lillies!! have some orientals too that my gran gave us that need splitting now . thanx catahoula, will give it a go after this heat wave!