Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to "clone" lilacs? I would like to use my existing bushes as a source for new ones - too cheap to go out and buy bushes I guess, plus I love cloning my roses and want to expand on that.

·
Gadabout
2,711 Posts
Aren't there any little plants growing near the base of your lilacs? If so, you can dig those up and put them anywhere you want.

There was a big, old lilac bush in the yard when I moved here. I've moved several small plants to other places in my yard (I love them, too!).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gayle in KY said:
Aren't there any little plants growing near the base of your lilacs? If so, you can dig those up and put them anywhere you want.

There was a big, old lilac bush in the yard when I moved here. I've moved several small plants to other places in my yard (I love them, too!).
My last place had beautiful very old lilacs everywhere and when I moved I dug down and took root cuttings, left them in a five gallon bucket full of water for a few weeks until I got to them and planted them.

8 years later I have beautiful lilacs that look identical to old homesteading ones :)

Good Luck!

~Michael in Boise

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
you might try air rooting them just like with roses, you take peatmoss thats sopping wet wring it till damp then wrap it around the stem then use plastic over it till it roots about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! I have one lilac, but desperately want more.... but budget does not have a lot of room for non-edibles at this point. I am trying all of your suggestions, and greatly looking forward to my little clones. Thank you again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts