Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to "clone" lilacs? I would like to use my existing bushes as a source for new ones - too cheap to go out and buy bushes I guess, plus I love cloning my roses and want to expand on that.

· Registered
55 Posts
Gayle in KY said:
Aren't there any little plants growing near the base of your lilacs? If so, you can dig those up and put them anywhere you want.

There was a big, old lilac bush in the yard when I moved here. I've moved several small plants to other places in my yard (I love them, too!).
My last place had beautiful very old lilacs everywhere and when I moved I dug down and took root cuttings, left them in a five gallon bucket full of water for a few weeks until I got to them and planted them.

8 years later I have beautiful lilacs that look identical to old homesteading ones :)

Good Luck!

~Michael in Boise

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! I have one lilac, but desperately want more.... but budget does not have a lot of room for non-edibles at this point. I am trying all of your suggestions, and greatly looking forward to my little clones. Thank you again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.