lights flickering

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Mar 24, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i moved to this 1997 double wide last year. in the last two weeks the lights have begun flickering quite a bit. i'm probably about as ON grid as i have ever been in my life, and am currently operating two heat lamps, and have recently added 4 rows of electirc fence, making a total of +/- 3 acres. should i worry? call an electrician? call the power company? or shop for a valium lick? :) they get really dim, then kind of flicker back up.

see??? there they go again..... :eek:

2. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

I had that problem a month or so ago. It was the transformer, blew a fuse. Power Co's problem.

3. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I'd call your power company.

I mentioned in passing to one of the rural electric co-op techs that my light flickered sometimes. The next day I was swarmed with power company trucks and they went over the power sytem surrounding my place with a fine toothed comb. All sorts of techs running around with test equipment checking my lines. I was impressed. They finally found a loose connection a mile or two away if I remember correctly. Took a couple of days.

4. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

I also had that problem when we first moved here, it was the Transformer, and the Power Company replaced it, free of charge!!!!

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The oldest church in the county seat burned down last week. The pastor noticed the lights flickering before the fire. They think an electrical problem was the cause of the fire. I'd call the power company first to see if they have a problem. If they don't find the problem in their equipment, you need to call an electrican. Trailers burn much faster than a house. A lot of folks don't make it out before the smoke gets them.

If you smell smoke stay low to the floor and get out immediately.

6. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I agree, call your power co. But also have an electrician check your wiring. If I have too much on one fuse/breaker, my lights will dim if something else goes on (pump, freezer, etc.) It's an overload on that fuse or breaker. Something pulling more power than the wiring or box was designed to handle. That could cause a fire later down the road.

7. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

A lot of doublewides have what I think is called 'stick wiring', which means they use the cheap receptacles and just 'stick' the wires into them. SO you may have a loose connection somewhere? I had part of my house go dead, so took a few days when it was light when I got home, turned off the main breaker and tracked it back, tightening as I went and it worked. I've also been told that it can be a breaker box problem, and I wouldn't tackle that, I'd call an electrician.

Mobile homes have cheesy wiring and plumbing...bad news, but you can fix some of it and learn in the process.....good news.

hollym

8. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Are they flickering or dimming down and coming back up? If they just flicker quickly when your A/C or refrigerator kicks on it may not be a big deal. But if they dim down and stay down the whole time then your wire is probably not large enough to carry the load. Could be the power company drop to your house or an individual circuit that is loaded heavier than the wire can carry. That's the importance of not putting a larger fuse or breaker in than the wire is designed to carry. That way the breaker will always trip or the fuse blow before the wire gets hot.

9. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

Have seen this problem twice in the last 2 years. Had it here and turned out to be something in our electric meter. We could actually see where it had almost burnt. My dd just had this problem...............it was a short in the ground coming into the house. The electric company came out at midnight and ran a temporary ground until they could get back to fix it right. Don't take any chances!!!!! Call the power co.

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

hoo boy! i was going to wait because of the holiday, but i'll call them in the morning!

11. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Put in some antique open flame gas lighting fixtures and you'll wonder why the lights don't flicker much. ;)

Okay, get it checked quickly! Lots of electrical fires in my area this winter, don't take any chances.