Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive a 97 subaru legacy outback wagon.

yesterday, after stopping for lunch, it wouldn't start. my daughter came by with jumper cables, and after cleaning the battery posts, it started right up with a boost.

i then noticed a clicking noise, pretty regular, kind of like the blinker would make. not the blinkers, not the emergency flashers... finally noticed the parking lights were flashing. :shrug:

looked under the hood again and noticed an old sticker that said if the battery cables are removed then replaced, it activates the security system. it said the way to stop the lights from flashing is to hit some button on the remote keyless entry.

guess what? it's 10 years old, bought used from a local mechanic. there is no remote keyless entry button.

drove it home. two hours later the lights had run the battery down again. :flame:

anyone have any idea how to get these lights to quit flashing?

i can call the mechanic tomorrow in hopes he knows but in the meantime, maybe some of you fine and knowledgeable folks can help me out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,588 Posts
Remove the fuse for the parking lights. They won't work if you need them but it would keep the battery from running down while it's parked and is much better IMO than disconnecting the battery cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
We have a Toyota tacoma pick-up and when that ticking occurred in it, it was the headlights being left on. It happened to me when my husband was out on the road (he's a truck driver) and the ticking scared me to death because I'm a schoo bus driver and I had a family very mad at me at the time. We both thought they had put a time bomb in my truck while parked at the bus garage. Turned out that I had left the head lights on and wore the battery out. We do not have any kind of anti-theft mechanism on it so, I am not sure if yours might be a different problem, just letting you know the ticking was leaving the headlights on in my case. Have a good day! M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Danaus29 said:
Remove the fuse for the parking lights. They won't work if you need them but it would keep the battery from running down while it's parked and is much better IMO than disconnecting the battery cable.

great idea!! (where's that hitting self in head emoticon?) thank you!! i can leave it indefinitely until i get a chance to see mechanic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belly Acre said:
We have a Toyota tacoma pick-up and when that ticking occurred in it, it was the headlights being left on. It happened to me when my husband was out on the road (he's a truck driver) and the ticking scared me to death because I'm a schoo bus driver and I had a family very mad at me at the time. We both thought they had put a time bomb in my truck while parked at the bus garage. Turned out that I had left the head lights on and wore the battery out. We do not have any kind of anti-theft mechanism on it so, I am not sure if yours might be a different problem, just letting you know the ticking was leaving the headlights on in my case. Have a good day! M
subaru's have a feature that turns the headlights off when you turn off the engine. it prevents the problem of running the battery down. the ticking is definitely the parking lights blinking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,588 Posts
I wouldn't drive it after dark with the fuse out. You need those parking lights so cars behind you can see you. Brake lights and turn signals should still function, double check to make sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Danaus29 said:
I wouldn't drive it after dark with the fuse out. You need those parking lights so cars behind you can see you. Brake lights and turn signals should still function, double check to make sure.
okay, thanks for the heads up! i do work nights so this could be a problem. i'll call the subaru guy in the morning.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,588 Posts
You could drive it with the lights flashing and take the fuse out after you park. Just make sure you put the fuse back in before driving home. At best a temporary solution but one that can be lived with until you can have it checked out properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
My daughter's Saturn is in the shop as we speak, same problem. When it wouldn't start, she found out from the neighbors that her lights had been turning on when the car was parked, in the middle of the night. After a couple of days of this, she took it in and the upshot is it needs a new (of course) computer something or other, and since it's an old car, the new computer whatzit (approx. $400!) will fool the car into thinking it's a newer model. Honest, that's what the Saturn shop said. They also said she'd need a new VIN number. Does anyone know what that's about?
Puzzling, and expensive; poor kid just started her first job, and is learning quickly about the real world of living expenses.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,588 Posts
Dh said the relay for the lights is still trying to come on, even with the fuse for the lights removed. He said it shouldn't drain the battery as fast to have the fuse out but needs to be checked by the dealer as soon as you can. He also said sorry that he doesn't know much about Subarus.
 

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
WeaverRose,
(Are they going to supply a new computer for the car, or a new car for the computer.)
Why on earth would she need a new VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)? Those numbers are usually presed into the metal of the car, often somewhere on the firewall, as well as on the VIN plate. I'd get her to check with her local vehicle registry office. N.B. - Old VIN plates are often used for stolen car 're-birthing',
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
I would check to see if the emergency signal button is on - the one that makes the parking lights flash. It sort of sounds like it could be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
If you contact a dealer they should have a way for you to get a remote for your car and sync it so they work together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Shinsan, they said the car needed a new computer, and I thought it was odd about needing a new number. Will call and check to see what the registry office can tell me.
Thanks for your comment - good luck to Marvella with her car. It'a always something with vehicles :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good news! we took out the fuse, which was in a harness under the dash. it doesn't seem to have affected anything else- everything works, including night time running lights. it looks like the lights (and the fuse) were only for the alarm system.

thanks to one and all!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,400 Posts
WeaverRose said:
My daughter's Saturn is in the shop as we speak, same problem. When it wouldn't start, she found out from the neighbors that her lights had been turning on when the car was parked, in the middle of the night. After a couple of days of this, she took it in and the upshot is it needs a new (of course) computer something or other, and since it's an old car, the new computer whatzit (approx. $400!) will fool the car into thinking it's a newer model. Honest, that's what the Saturn shop said. They also said she'd need a new VIN number. Does anyone know what that's about?
Puzzling, and expensive; poor kid just started her first job, and is learning quickly about the real world of living expenses.
I would call Saturn directly since this does not sound correct. You should never get a new VIN number without a new vehicle. If you have the vehicle in your possesion again I would check the vin plate to see if it has been messed with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Danaus29 said:
What a break! I didn't think to check for an alarm fuse. Ha!
everything is different on a subaru. i'm very thankful for my mechanic, who doesn't touch any other vehicles but them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,511 Posts
The VIN should never be changed or tampered with. If a police oficer thinks that a VIN has been changed or tampered with they have probile cause to impound the car and se who is the real owner. If the VIN is changed the lisence is no good on that vehicle. I wouln want to explain that to the motor regerstaration people.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top