Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going today to video property DW and I are preparing to submit an offer on. I need solid info on how much it is going to take to build a drive to the home. It sits at the back of the 18 acres. There is deeded access but a road/drive has to be built on it. It's about 2400 feet total. I have to see how many trees, what sizes and how hard they are going to be to remove. I think it will cost me about 2500 to 5500 to do it myself. I may also get an estimate from a contractor.

I also have to see where the well needs to be put in. That is going to cost about 4500 tops. I already have one estimate.

The home is doublewide and needs about 3000 to bring it to speed. It is not trashed but some things were broken on purpose by previous owners.

I'm figure they are asking 96K and I am starting with 70K offer. This is because of the work that has to be done. Anyone who buys it will have to build a road and put in water. Farmer who granted access to property and let old owners have water is cutting off access and water.

What do you think Folks (opened myself up on that)?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is WHY is the farmer cutting off access and water? Is the farmer the one selling? Is there a better location for the double wide to set. Drill your own well would save you $$$. How is the sewer septic system? How will that affect the well? Do you get mineral rights, water rights, timber rights? How are the other neighbors? You state things were broken on purpose by previous owners? Did they treat the neighbors the same way and now you could be inheriting that baggage as well? You are going to offer 3.2 per acre when they are asking 5.3. That means they would be willing to take two thousand one hundred dollars less and acre even though there is work that needs to be done. Decisions decisions decisions. If you get it you may want to consider buying the equipment to build your drive and sell it when you are done with it. Just my .02 Lord bless ya in your endevures

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I woud get and estimate from a contractor. Check the codes in the county on access roads . I know here they have to be a certain width (big enough for emergency vehicle access).We are having growing pains though.Can't even level the ground with a tractor without a permit :grump: .It is better to have control of your access and water supply anyway.The farmer probably had some trouble with the other owners he is trying to avoid in the future.

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is Repo belonging to Fannie Mae. Buying Equipment crossed my mind.

Farmer probably had it with other owners.

I am going to talk to all involved so I can smooth over any problems that exsisted due to previous owners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts