Light side of cow ownership

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by agmantoo, Jul 21, 2006.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Came by this and got a chuckle, hope you do also :)

COWS

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that our
    government can track a cow born in Canada almost three years ago,
    right to the stall where she sleeps in the state of Washington? And,
    they tracked her calves to their stalls.
    But they are unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering
    around our country. Maybe we should give them all a cow.

2. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

You are right Agman; gotta laugh to keep from getting mad, lOL We had a dairy farmer nearby that aws heavily fined by the environment people for going SLIGHTLY over his permitted amount of manure effluence. He was injecting it underground with no complaints from his neighbors and never had anyone file any claims against him. When he asked how they knew when or how much he was putting out on his land, they produced sdatellite photos with dates and times........but can't see the illegals coming across the border.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Yes, that was funny, but I have another question. If they can track that cow and her calves with that accuracy WITHOUT the NAIS, then why do we need it?

4. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Canada has their own version of NAIS.

5. Shinsan

Shinsan Keeping the Dream Alive

And so to does Australia now....very popular, (NOT)

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Yikes! I posted this awhile ago, and the thread was deleted ... :(

I thought it was funny, too. :)

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

YEP, Farmers are busting their "donkey" 365 days a year to produce food for this country, while our tax dollars are paying the salaries of regulatory agency employees who turn around and treat us like malicious criminals if one drop of effluent(PLANT FOOD) is applied in an untimely fashion.
    That There is what's called BITING THE HAND THAT FEEDS :croc: LOL.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Without NAIS animals can be tracked. WHen an animal goes to slaughter, usually it is tagged, the tag is tied to the person who sent it. NAIS at first won't be able to track where animals came from originally, because there wont be a paper trail. So IMO it wont do any good for several years, more or less untill a paper trail is started.

Example: Say I buy a calf from Joe farmer A, prior to NAIS. I simply paid him X dollars. I took the calf home, then send it to market after NAIS. The calf started from me, with no data from the person I bought it from. So tracking it would lead back to me. Say this is the only calf I have, only animal I have. Without a previous paper trail, you can't trace back to the source. NAIS would work the same as it is done now. If I send that calf to the auction barn, something came up. It could be tracked back to me, because each time it goes to a barn, they are tagged with a number, that number is attached to the seller.

So tracking a cow across a couple different states wouldn't be hard, considerng you have to get vet papers to travel interstate (from my knowledge).

Jeff

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Seems like govt's world wide have their priorities in the wrong order. All my cattle have to be tagged before they are sold or sent to the works and years down the track they can be traced back to me. On Saturday there was a news items stating that illegal immigrants were fleecing this country of millions of dollars in medical fees in our hospitals. :grump: Not PC of course to say ship them back to where they came from.

And yes, compliance laws are getting over the top although I'm pleased to see that there is a small but every growing resistance to them in this country. The latest has been the mandatory microchipping of dogs which met with huge resistance. The law was passed but local bodies and vets report very little activity and Councils have put it on low priority.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Hope their is resistance in the USA also, Last I heard I think NY state was requireing dog owners to "chip" their animals.

11. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

12. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Not that I've heard and I just registered two dogs this past week. Maybe NYC?

13. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

The Local Amish are against NAIS-- but they have no vote, yet must comply with a lot of Yankee laws in order to survive. I suggested to one, that as long as groups of "small people" start to band together-- the Amish, the local homesteaders, the local self sufficiency people, the occassional "fresh egg" seller, that we can unite into a large enough force to be recognized- The Amish guy was unaware of the lawsuits bought about by companies like Monsanto against farmers for having "patented" genetics caused by cross pollination, and quite frankly, he was surprised that anyone would consider "owning" and sueing over an "act of God" I explained to him that big business supports our government, and that is why they can get away with it- that the money generated by "owning" the rights to genetics gives us small peolpe fewer choices-- So perhaps this week, at the community gathering, thaty will leak out, and a small group will form i my area, then we can join with other small groups---

if anyone is interested, EVERY US State has put NAIS mandates into their state codes-- all that needs to be done now is enforcement. NAID does not take into consideration that most food issues occur at the feedlots and packing plants, because safety rtegulations that are already in place are not adhered to. And as one persons tag line puts it-- "If I die from eating a hamburger at McDonald's, how will NAIS have helped me?" That hamburger could very well have been contaminated AT McDonalds!!!! TRY finding the several farm sources that the ground up meat came from when the patty was made and frozen----

14. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

or bin laden

15. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

I think it's an example of the psychological term "transference": when you have a problem with one person, but you can't do anything to this person to fix the problem, you "fix" someone else...

Kind of like the persons whose boss yells at him/her and goes home to yell at spouse, or to kick the dog...like "What did I do?" Answer: nothing, but you're available and can't really defend yourself...

Monsanto kicks the consumer, the consumer kicks the government, the government kicks the small farmer - "See, we're protecting your food supply, look at how we shut down John Smallfarmer for non-compliance with NAIS" after someone else dies from mega-agri food contamination...