light for breeding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cricket, Feb 23, 2005.

1. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Ok...I have determined I don't have enough light in with my rabbits so I am going to have to do something about it. (They aren't coming into season and haven't since Sept) What kind of light and how many hours are needed? If this doesn't work, I swear I'm going to make jackets out of them! I've tried everything else... They're Californians....if that makes a difference.

2. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Rabbits naturally decline in their breeding cycles as the light begins to diminish in the fall. In the spring as the light increases their cycles will pick up....unless they are overweight and then they won't breed well anyway. According to the Rabbit Production book a light bulb can "trick" them into coming into their cycles. However, it doesn't say how many hours of daylight are needed. My chickens do the same thing in the fall so I put a light on a timer to come on in the am and then turn off around 8am and then on again in the late afternoon and then off at night. I try to give them 12 hours of light. That has worked with my rabbits when I tried it so they could be bred for Easter bunnies.
    Hope that helps!

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

===========

Hi Cricket ,,
    What I use is a 'clamp' light with a 60w bulb ,, I just have it hanging up high in my building (henhouse) the light shines in the henhouse and out to the hutches ,, the side of henhouse is wire ,, covered w plastic right now but the light shines thru ,,, :)

Right now I don't have a timer and I'm leaving it on 24/7 ,, I've had 2 timers die this last year and have just put off buying another .. ;)

First time I tried a light 2 years ago ,, my rabbits were so-so breeding ,, but 2 weeks after I put up the lights in Jan .. my quail started laying like it was spring :haha: lol , it really jumpstarted them ,, can't hurt anyhow ,,

Have you tried giving them some red apple cider vinegar in their water ,, I've read that thats an 'old' timers trick ,, it supposedly gives them an extra boost of suppliments ,, will make their coats shinnier and make them more in the 'mood' :haha: (also retards alge growth in water bottles in warm weather)
    I think the measurements are like 2 tablespoons to 1 quart of water or 1/4 cup V to 1 gallon water ,,, I've gave it to mine before ,, don't know if it made a difference or not ,, lol
    I've been lucky and have not had many misses or refusals but got one doe now whos not cooperating ,, she don't like the new buck but I'm not giving in ,,lol

4. cricket

Yeah...I've tried it. The whole reason I got them was for meat but at this point I'm beginning to think it's easier to just go buy meat from the store. I moved them into the barn so they would be more protected from the elements but they don't get any direct light and only a few hours of ambient light. Not that it's dark, it's just not very bright in there. So, I'm going to string a light in there and see what that does. I don't want to breed them heavily in the summer because it is SO hot here and they'd be miserable. Anyway, thanks for the help!!! :)

5. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Hi Cricket, I see you are in Alabama. Unless you are getting below 20 degrees at night you ought to move your rabbits outside. Just provide a roof of some sort so they don't get rained on. How hot do you get in the summer? Pregnant rabbits aren't as bothered by the heat as pregnant humans are.

6. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Having never been pregnant in the summer, I can't compare a pregnant rabbit to a pregnant human. Pregnant rabbits are VERY much bothered by the heat!
    Heat stress during pregnancy, especially at kindling time, is a major concern for rabbit producers in the south. Even with mechanical methods of cooling,
    the doe is very susceptible during the period of nest building (very active)
    and during the actual kindling process.

Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com

7. cricket

We plan on moving them to their own "treehouse" in the spring. There are huge oaks on my property and I was going to make a lean-to under a couple for protection and then they can get the breezes which can be significantly cooler than a fan in the barn...I just haven't had the time to do it though. Also, as wet as it's been here, I'm kind of liking them being a little more protected. Our barn is very open...Not your typical barn. The walls only go up about 8 ft on 2 sides and then it has a solid back wall. It's really a fancy run-in rather than a barn and that's why I thought they would have gotten enough light. It will be entirely too hot in the summer in there though. It's not unusual for it to be over 100 with the heat index and that's not taking into account the humidity. If you can't catch the breezes, you just roast!