Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have constant problems with light bulbs and lighting in their homes? I am at my wits end with mine. Whoever built our house filled it with all kinds of strip lighting which is designed to only take expensive halogen flood lights. The lighting fixtures are a circular base with a socket that only stays in place when a flood light is perfectly inserted face first into the circular base. When they're all working, it is brighter than a sunny day in here.

The problem is that they never seem to all be working! Although they are rated for 1,000 hours they seem to only last about 200 hours. 4-6 weeks after I put them in, they blow out. They never seem to blow out when they are on, but rather right when I flip the switch. It's at a point where I am spending about $30 a month on light bulbs which just seems silly.

Does anyone know of a bulb that might last longer than this one?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_462082-2942...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

The only catch is that it has to be exactly the same circumference otherwise it would just hang from a cord pointed down at the ground rather than fitting into the light fixture.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't have to use the same expensive bulbs that you're dealing with, but I do have the same problem with having to constantly replace bulbs that should be lasting longer than they do. I'm lucky to get 2 months out of a light bulb in my dining area, kitchen and office. I don't know whether to attribute the problem to wiring or poor quality incandescent bulbs, but I'm ready to spring for some LEDs to see if it stops.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
We have two similar fixtures in our kitchen, also from Lowes and they don't last either. Wish I had a solution other than to replace the fixture.

I think bulbs in general aren't lasting long. I replaced the lamp bulb by my elderly Mom's chair, which is on from morning til she goes to bed, as she has very poor eyesight. Tried an energy CFL bulb and it just didn't produce enough light for her. Back to the old style.

Let us know if you find a good bulb/fixture!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I hate the CFL bulbs! They are made to be turned on & left on so do not last in a place that is always turned off & on a lot. Well, I'm not about to just leave the light on when no one is in the room. They do not last near as long as they say. They also do not last long if used outside, like when I put a light on my chickens.

If I were having your problem, I'd change the fixtures & put something else in.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
We're not having trouble with light bulbs. We're having trouble with remote controls. They work when they want to even with new batteries. TV, lights, computer mouse, anything on a remote is subject to being temporarily dead. Do your lights work with a remote control?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They definitely get wicked hot, wicked fast. Once they've been on for ten minutes you can literally feel the heat that all six of them generate together. If you leave them on for an hour it actually raises the temperature of the house :yuck:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some halogen bulbs will have a much shorter service life if oils from your skin is on the bulb. I use gloves or a cloth when installing new bulbs. If that doesnt fix it, the problem could be anything from the fixture to the wiring. Good luck

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Just as a contrast with long established technology, I have two incandescent bulbs in cans in a high ceiling that I have been waiting to burn out to replace with florescent bulbs- that are now tech dinosaurs themselves because I bought then so long ago as replacements.
Sigh......

Reactions: Sumatra

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
With a Sharpe I write the date installed on the base of the bulb. When it does not last I call customer service on an 800 number and get it replaced.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I hate the CFL bulbs! They are made to be turned on & left on so do not last in a place that is always turned off & on a lot. Well, I'm not about to just leave the light on when no one is in the room. They do not last near as long as they say. They also do not last long if used outside, like when I put a light on my chickens.

If I were having your problem, I'd change the fixtures & put something else in.
I have CFL's all through the house even in the bathroom to here at my computer desk. These lights get turned on and off, and off and on all day long. I have never had any trouble with CFL's lasting at any shorter period of time that regular light bulbs.
And I switched over to CFL's Long Before any laws were passed also, I switched to SAVE MONEY, and that was 12 years plus ago.~!
I sure don;t understand why people seem to have so much trouble with these CFL's When LED's come a lot lower I will be switching to them, but right now No way.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I have never had any trouble with CFL's lasting at any shorter period of time that regular light bulbs.
You kind of made my point. I didn't say they lasted shorter than regular light bulbs. I said they do not last as long as they are supposed to which is generally 5 years. Why should I pay more for a CFL bulb if they aren't going to last any longer than a regular bulb? I can't say I have noticed any savings on the electric bill either & we switched over to all CFL bulbs several years ago.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Ya that 5 yr lasting stuff IS a joke.
IF a person reads the Fine Print that long lasting time is based on ONLY 3 Hours a Day in using those bulbs. LOL

And saving around 3 bucks a YEAR you are not going to notice a thing on your electric bill~!

I always got a kick out of those lights bulbs from years passed that were 10 Year Bulbs.
Sure they MAY last 10 years but the Brightness (Lumens ) were HALF as much as a standard incandescent one.
I read the riot act to one of those hard sell sales persons once that was trying to sell me those long lasting bulbs many many year ago when I was head of maintenance at a food distribution company. I HAD to have X Amount of brightness, measured in Lumens when the USDA inspectors were using their brightness meter.
In NO WAY could I have passed using those Long Life Light Bulbs.
And I told that sales person in so many words NO~!

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Does anyone else have constant problems with light bulbs and lighting in their homes? I am at my wits end with mine. Whoever built our house filled it with all kinds of strip lighting which is designed to only take expensive halogen flood lights. The lighting fixtures are a circular base with a socket that only stays in place when a flood light is perfectly inserted face first into the circular base. When they're all working, it is brighter than a sunny day in here.

The problem is that they never seem to all be working! Although they are rated for 1,000 hours they seem to only last about 200 hours. 4-6 weeks after I put them in, they blow out. They never seem to blow out when they are on, but rather right when I flip the switch. It's at a point where I am spending about $30 a month on light bulbs which just seems silly.

Does anyone know of a bulb that might last longer than this one?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_462082-29420-TH-60562FL3_4294801203__?productId=4573350&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

The only catch is that it has to be exactly the same circumference otherwise it would just hang from a cord pointed down at the ground rather than fitting into the light fixture.
First, let's decode what the lamp is (technically, the word bulb only refers to the glass shell)

PAR = Parabolic (more or less) Aluminized Reflector. It is a fancy way of saying that depending on where the filament in the lamp is placed, the lamp can create a spot, narrow beam, or flood light.
30 - this is funky but consistent in lamps. It is the width of the bulb in eighths of an inch. ANY PAR30 meets your width requirement.
E means Edison base
26 is 26 millimeters, the width of the Edison base. That is a completely standard U.S. base (Yeah, I know - millimeters instead of inches. GO figure)

1000 hours life. That is NOT designed as a long life lamp. It is halogen, which gives excellent color rendition and is commonly used in lighting displayed artwork.

Halogen is unusual in that it MUST have high temperatures to heat the bulb envelope. The halogen cycle boils off atoms, which redeposit on the filament. If the temperature of the bulb is too low, the deposit occurs on the inside of the bulb, which shortens the lamp life and reduces the output because of the schmutz on the glass. Yeah, you can dim them - don't.

Skip the CFL's entirely. 95% of them are junk. Incandescents add heat, so skip them as well. Heat in can fixtures is not generally a good thing, although many are designed to tolerate it.

Halogen color temperature is a little towards the daylight blue, similar to sunlight on a clear day. For some purposes that is fine. For interior home lighting a slightly warmer color temp is often preferred. With CFLs and LEDs you generally want to go one step up the wattage equivalents to negate the marketing hype and give a more accurate lumen output once the lamp has had time to burn in. Therefore I would go with a 75 watt equiv.

I would consider this lamp to be a contender:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/91033/LED-423442.html
Philips is a reliable brand with much better quality control that many manufacturers, and they have a decent warranty.

Your burnouts sound like common thermal shock. There are ways to reduce it a little, but it won't extend lamp life terribly much. If you have a lot of lamp burnouts everywhere, verify that your incoming power is not too high a voltage. If it is anything above about 124 volts, you might contact the power company and see if they can use a different tap on the mains transformer. The other issue with power can be transients, where the voltage spikes momentarily. A whole house surge protector is the best insurance against that.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I would change the fixtures to something that takes regular edison base light bulbs. Edison base is the screw in base light bulbs have had for decades.

You need to look at each location and determine what type of bulb works best there. Standard incandescent bulbs produce the color of light we are used to but they create a lot of heat and have relatively short lives. They cost the least. Curly fluorescent bulbs use less energy and produce less heat. They now have bulbs that produce a color of light close to incandescent. The local energy company has a coupon once a year and I buy them for a buck each. most last a good long time. LED bulbs use even less energy, produce less heat, and last longer than CFLs. They cost too much and I don't buy them.

I have more to say on this subject but it's time to put on the orange and go chase Bambi.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went out and dropped $114 on six LED flood lights today. They come with a 6 year warranty, so here is to hoping. If this doesn't work, I will replace the fixtures. My wife wanted to avoid me doing that if at all possible :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts