Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not exactly: Phosphine gas in the cloud decks of Venus

"Phosphine gas in the cloud decks of Venus"

What appears to be Phosphine (PH3) has been observed in the atmosphere of Venus. This is a relatively volatile chemical compound that would normally dissipate naturally unless it were somehow being renewed.

They are looking to confirm the finding
Other PH3 spectral features should be sought, while in situ cloud and surface sampling could examine sources of this gas.
If it's really phosphine, we currently know of no abiotic process that can produce it, which suggests either an heretofore unknown process, or some form or early life or life-like molecular systems.

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Well, I can't help but wonder if the laws of physics on Earth are the same as the laws of physics on Venus.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I saw this article and found it fascinating. However, we're always hearing about how life may be possible or there are signs of habitability out there in space somewhere and nobody has produced any solid evidence of life elsewhere as of yet.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
Reactions: random

·
Registered
20,787 Posts
Well, I can't help but wonder if the laws of physics on Earth are the same as the laws of physics on Venus.
I agree. Perhaps the chemical makeup of the atmosphere of Venus does not allow the Phosphine gas to dissipate and maybe even produces it.

As vast as space is with it's many solar systems, how can we be so arrogant as to think we are the only planet to have some sort of intelligent life?

Or it may be that people on Venus grow and eat Phosphines like we do beans. That could explain the Phosphine gas.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As vast as space is with it's many solar systems, how can we be so arrogant as to think we are the only planet to have some sort of intelligent life?
I think there are a lot of assumptions we've made that may not necessarily hold true. For example: that any such civilization would be emitting radio signals. Or that any such civilizations would have reached our level of technology much earlier than us.

Let's suppose there were such a civilization orbiting Betelgeuse (just for an example) - that civilization would have had to invented radio transmission more than 700 years ago, and would have had to remain viable from whenever that happened UNTIL 700 years ago. So if they were even 400 years more technologically advanced than us, we wouldn't even get their first radio signals for at least another 200 years. And if they reached our level 1000 years ago and nuked themselves out of existence another 200 years later, we would likely have missed any signals from them.

Given the BILLIONS of years of time and BILLIONS of light-years of distance involved, I would say that the chances of us encountering any alien civilization at that technological point within the very tiny time window we have (100 years minus the distance to them in light-years) would still be quite small.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To add to the above: if they were contemporary to us, they would have to be within ~100 light years of us for us to detect any radio signals. And again, that assumes they use radio. What if they invented lasers first and use tight-beam lasers for their communication instead? Or something we've never even thought of?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm not, just saying I'm not holding my breath on this one
Maybe you ought to. The phosphine could kill you.

The atmosphere on Venus is 9x denser than here on earth, therefore, 9x hotter. (PV = nRT. It's the pressure, not the co2, TreeHuggers)....With no free O2, PH3 formed under hi P, hi T conditions would be quite stable. Here on earth, it would be quickly oxidized...There's no real controversy as suggested by this obvious attempt to attract more research funding.

In regards chances of life elsewhere in the universe: virtually a sure thing....Millions of galaxies with billions of stars, each with multiple planets...Here, life started after only a half billion yrs (must be pretty "easy") and has continued for 3 1/2 billion yrs. Universe is 14 billion years old....Add it all up and there are no doubt millions of planets with life, many with intelligent life and some older, ergo, smarter than us.

When considering visitations here by aliens, don't forget that they may not sense time like we do-- To them, a few thousand yrs may be just a singe heart beat.....The real reason it's unlikely they've been here is that we're smaller than a BB lost in the Indian Ocean....What are the chances they'd find us?

·
Registered
353 Posts

The atmosphere on Venus is 9x denser than here on earth, therefore, 9x hotter. (PV = nRT. It's the pressure, not the co2, TreeHuggers)....With no free O2, PH3 formed under hi P, hi T conditions would be quite stable. Here on earth, it would be quickly oxidized...There's no real controversy as suggested by this obvious attempt to attract more research funding.

In regards chances of life elsewhere in the universe: virtually a sure thing....Millions of galaxies with billions of stars, each with multiple planets...Here, life started after only a half billion yrs (must be pretty "easy") and has continued for 3 1/2 billion yrs. Universe is 14 billion years old....Add it all up and there are no doubt millions of planets with life, many with intelligent life and some older, ergo, smarter than us.

When considering visitations here by aliens, don't forget that they may not sense time like we do-- To them, a few thousand yrs may be just a singe heart beat.....The real reason it's unlikely they've been here is that we're smaller than a BB lost in the Indian Ocean....What are the chances they'd find us?
That was a good post.

I think you must have misunderstood me though. I realize that life elsewhere is likely. But, supposed signs of habitability or possible life elsewhere are fairly common claims made these days while the evidence itself is pretty scarce/dubious. It's a lot of guessing and no concrete information

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
That was a good post.

I think you must have misunderstood me though. I realize that life elsewhere is likely. But, supposed signs of habitability or possible life elsewhere are fairly common claims made these days while the evidence itself is pretty scarce/dubious. It's a lot of guessing and no concrete information
Like @doc- said. The guessing keeps the funding flowing.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Plenty of evidence that they have visited and continue to visit us.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Plenty of evidence that they have visited and continue to visit us.
Not at all true...What we have is some observations with that are not easily explained by known mechanisms-- the "Default Explanation" for some is "it must be aliens."....Why not Angels, Devils, Elves or Big Foot, not to mention the most obvious and likely- optical illusion?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There absolutely ARE aliens visiting us. There's even a couple working for the military. I know this because I've been watching a documentary series about a government facility that sends teams all over the galaxy through some circular portal to bring back alien technology.

Did you know that English is commonly spoken across the entire galaxy?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
There absolutely ARE aliens visiting us. There's even a couple working for the military. I know this because I've been watching a documentary series about a government facility that sends teams all over the galaxy through some circular portal to bring back alien technology.

Uh duh, I have seen Star Trek.

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts

I've been watching the same documentary.
I want to live on the planet where Rodney Grant lives. It's nice and peaceful on that one.

Uh duh, I have seen Star Trek.
Stargate SG1, not Star Trek. They don't all speak English in Star Trek. They have a universal translator so we hear it in English.

·
Premium Member
8,249 Posts
Well, it's been said: "Women are from Venus. men are from Mars." After residing here on Earth these many years, I'm convinced that a lot of humanity is from Uranus.

geo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts