Life is Good

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gilberte, Aug 28, 2006.

1. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

The garden is really starting to give up its bounty....50 pints of green beans and counting, 62 pint freezer bags of 'Double Delicious' corn put up yesterday..cucumbers up the wazoo, 47 quarts of 'Roma' tomatoes (and counting)...what are we gonna do with all those green peppers :shrug: ...23 pints of blueberries in the freezer...9 pints of sour cherries...

The pool is covered, the white perch are feeding heavily (12 two-serving packages frozen so far)... and the pears and apples look very good for picking in a couple weeks. The pig is about 250lbs and I'm just waiting for the right conditions to slaughter now.

Yesterday we had fresh corn, a garden salad, new potatoes, and deep fried white perch for supper. Lord...take me now. I'm ready to go :)

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

This is my absolute favorite kind of post! Hard work and dedication pays off!

3. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

How wonderful for you. Good work. Life is indeed good! Enjoy and say thanks. :)

4. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations on your bounty! We had a very nice late spring harvest as well but it was back in June. We have a bountiful harvest of heat and humidity right now. I can't wait for fall.

5. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Me either! I have really had it with these 100+ days everyday this month with humidity that won't quit. Everyday I think today will be the day that it breaks...and then it doesn't. My grass crunches when I walk on it...Come on Fall.

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Gilberte, you put a lot of work into that kind of a harvest. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing it, it's uplifting :)

7. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful!

8. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I'm glad you're having such a good year! I'm planning to freeze some stuffed bell peppers for lunches. I usually mix leftover rice or quick rice with cooked meat and make them different ways, with salsa and beans, whatever strikes me I guess.

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

The drought pretty much nixed our garden this year although my herbs are doing great thanks to almost constant watering...your post makes me HUNGRY!!!!

10. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats great, its a real good feeling to see the pantry filling up. We're doing the same thing here. We took our honey this weekend, got about 14 gallons from 2 hives. Its all in quart jars on the counter. I should put it in the boxes and store it away but we just want to look at it awhile longer. :)