Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We go to church with several couples of our own age. After services we stand around and exchange news of the week with these people. One of the fellows is a vet my own age, one of those who served on the old Early Warning Radar system in the far W. of Alaska during the Korean war and the cold war with Russia.

Yesterday he was in church, in shock, with his son and grandson. Turned out his wife had died suddenly last Wed. and he'd not told a soul beyond family and the funeral home. He was out of it; I got from him that he and his wife had been in Ark. where she was born and she'd died suddenly. His son told my wife that they in fact had come home and that she died in the local hospital after a heart attack.

My friend told me that "It was sudden, she did not have time to suffer. It was an easy death-----for her", and tears welled up. He has a tough year ahead of him. Bad timing, too, with the holidays and winter coming on it will be doubly hard to bear. There are those of you who have been there, done that.

Ox

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Yes, it is true life has unexpected twists and turns.
For me it is my faith in God that gives me the strength to continue when such things happen.
It is also a reminder to live each day to the fullest, we all have a limited time.

Best wishes for your friend and his family.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Same here, Georgia. He died at age 66, we'd been married 44 years and we had just retired and moved to our country place. It is the hardest thing I've ever been through and I miss him every day. My faith in God sustained me in the days, months and years since then and the pain does fade some but there is always a hole left in your life. I don't think that will ever change at least not for me.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wad determined not to marry until I could support a family; we married late. Forty seven years, five months and 21 days. I would not wish her death upon anyone, but she endured, held on, for almost five years after we knew she would die.

Toward the end of her life my mother prayed daily for the grace of a happy death. It came that way for her as it did for my friends wife.
Ox

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I am so sorry for your friend. I don't know if we are ever really prepared for the death of a spouse or loved one. One minute they were there and the next gone. Quite a shock. Yes, time helps... and it is different for each of us. My husband and I had planned on watching some sunsets in rocking chairs when the kids were grown and gone. I still plan on watching those sunsets but will miss his company and bad puns :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts