·
Registered
33,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Ho Hum.

If I want a gun and I'm a criminal, I can get one within a few hours to a day - without any kind of check. The only thing this will do is keep honest people honest - and the price of unregistered guns will go higher.

This is sorta like prohibition. - The act or practice of forbidding something by law.

But then, isn't this part of the underlying policy of the democrats? Keeping us safe from ourselves?

·
Registered
33,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ho Hum.

If I want a gun and I'm a criminal, I can get one within a few hours to a day - without any kind of check. The only thing this will do is keep honest people honest - and the price of unregistered guns will go higher.

This is sorta like prohibition. - The act or practice of forbidding something by law.

But then, isn't this part of the underlying policy of the democrats? Keeping us safe from ourselves?
Exactly

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I'm lost. Gun licensing systems have NC on the map. I have my CHP and still have to fill out the paperwork for purchases from a FFL. It's simple enough but how can one assume who "might" become a problem!?!?.

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Who might become a problem?
Maybe they should check you political affiliation too.
Once I get my license so I can exercise a Constitutional right, I will also get my free speech permit and my certificate to attend approved religion services.
After all, freedom has a cost.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Many states already require licensing to buy. Try to buy a handgun in NY.

Jeff
Ever seen the surveillance videos of gangbangers in Chicago holding a pistol sideways at arm's length above their heads and spraying rounds indiscriminately in all directions?...Maybe they should require shooting lessons before you buy a gun and forget the license thing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I’m in Ny and really it’s not that bad for us here
I’ve had my permit for 30 years .
You just have to fill out your paper work , pay the blood money and weight ?
If you are not a criminal you can have a permit . It takes 6 weeks to half a year or longer now .
If you buy a hand gun you put a deposit on it . They give you a bill of sale and you then add the weapon to your permit .
In 3 week to a month you get your paper work and you pick up your weapon .
I thinkthere are a lot of people that can just go off the deep end over time .
No permit will help with this , people are not 100% reliable .

·
Registered
730 Posts
But you have to keep your gun in your house. Useful for sure for home defense.

However, I prefer to have it with me at all times.

·
Registered
33,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are not a criminal you can have a permit . It takes 6 weeks to half a year or longer now .
If you buy a hand gun you put a deposit on it . They give you a bill of sale and you then add the weapon to your permit .
Your opinion seems well conditioned

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
In Ohio you fill out the form for the background check, pay for your piece and walk out the door with it.

The criminals grab purses or search unlocked cars looking for guns. When we got the weekly police report there was always at least one report about handguns being taken from unlocked cars or houses.

IMO, if a stranger can walk into your house or get into your unlocked car and take your handgun, maybe you should not be allowed to get another gun.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
For a law abiding citizen I would consider that ridiculous.

Subject two-The common street thug, or me for that matter.
I go to my local bar, sidewalk pharmacist, barbershop, plumber, and I tell them I want a gun today, no questions asked, cash in hand. I will have my gun. Really doesn't matter if it is Idaho or Brooklyn. Doesn't matter if the government just made it extra illegal.
I'm trying to think of a single gun law that helped anyone other than the sponsor running for reelection. I'm watching one of my pups chew on a rusty logging chain and my mind wandered. I'll think about it again later.

·
Registered
33,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm trying to think of a single gun law that helped anyone other than the sponsor running for reelection.
The laws are to wear us down until they finally get their long desired universal registration in place. Then, after that, they come for the gun.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Firearm and ammunition sales over the past decade would indicate that the American public aren't being worn down.

·
Registered
33,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Firearm and ammunition sales over the past decade would indicate that the American public aren't being worn down.
Do not underestimate the stamina of the long game.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I don't. But the American people aren't wilting. The activists are intense, the government is still pacing outside the door, but the plan isn't working.
Quite a few states going with constitutional carry this year, and they aren't the ones with the daily shooting numbers spinning like the wheel in a one armed bandit.
The are several cases that SCOTUS will be getting around to that may change the state of gun laws.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
IMO, if a stranger can walk into your house or get into your unlocked car and take your handgun, maybe you should not be allowed to get another gun.
Did you mean that the way I’m understanding it? If someone steals a gun from you, you should lose your right to have a gun?

If so, how is that reasonable?

If you’re not secure with your social security number, and someone steals it and fraudulently votes in your name, should you lose your right to vote? If someone hacks your online account, and does something illegal with it, should you lose your 1st amendment rights?

Is the 2nd amendment a second-class right?

·
Registered
373 Posts
For a law abiding citizen I would consider that ridiculous.

Subject two-The common street thug, or me for that matter.
I go to my local bar, sidewalk pharmacist, barbershop, plumber, and I tell them I want a gun today, no questions asked, cash in hand. I will have my gun. Really doesn't matter if it is Idaho or Brooklyn. Doesn't matter if the government just made it extra illegal.
I'm trying to think of a single gun law that helped anyone other than the sponsor running for reelection. I'm watching one of my pups chew on a rusty logging chain and my mind wandered. I'll think about it again later.

I’m on board with your way of thinking .
I’m just telling it , the way it is .
they don’t seam to be slowing any one down , most every one I know has a cwp , if I I am in need of a new weapon I just buy it and have it shipped to my buddy that has a FFL .
It makes no difference to me or my safety I will just carry a weapon I have .

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I would say that even in New York, there is privately an increase in gun sales among those who publicly decry firearms.
The more felons and criminals created by the passing of laws, the fewer people there are to abide by them.
If Oklahoma made owning a firearm illegal tomorrow, how many millions just became outlaws while sitting on their couch watching Vanna White?
How many will stand in line with a duffle bag of military grade bolt actions and assault revolvers to turn in at the white Costco tables set up in every town square or Dollar General parking lot?
The Felony was not designed to be a catch all, and used to eliminate a person's rights.
Buying a bag of left handed cigarettes or tax evasion make one too dangerous to owning a firearm.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts