Lice,

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by beeman97, Jan 2, 2005.

1. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Hey folks,
    well ,, my sow has lice in her ears & on her face, i need to know if there is a natural way or a substance that will get rid of these things , i should also mention that she is pregnant & due to farrow the beginning to feb, so i would really like to get this taken care of before she farrows, any advice would greatly be appreciated,
    thanks
    Rick

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I would forget the home remidies and give her a dose of ivomec.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Sorry Rick, would agree with Tinknal on this especially if she is that close to farrowing. Get rid of the internal and external parasites in one hit and have her in good shape when she farrows.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Diatomaceous Earth- food grade- will take care of the external parasites in a flash. Sprinkle it very sparingly on her and in her pen.

5. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

Costly but very effective and long-lasting. It's a pour-on cattle wormer but when my hogs were badly infested with lice, I just poured on the amount according to the the weight requirements listed on the bottle and they were better within 24 hours. Pour it from neck down the spine to the tail bone.

6. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Okay ,
    Just alittle update now for those interested,
    The lice are gone ,,, at least for now, I didn't want the poor sow to go into farrowing with this problem so,,,,
    I used a combination of the ivermectin injection & powdered them up pretty good with DE. (don't know why i didnt think of it myself i use it in all my chicken stuff)
    I also used something else that i will not mention on here because im not to sure how it would go over. but most any ole pig farmer will tell you what they used to get rid of the critters.
    anyway ,, there gone now.
    I'm still very interested in any Natural methods besides the DE
    I do NOT like using chemicals of any kind what so ever here unless i have no other choice. I don't trust the chemical companies for anything they do actually & i really hate to support them at all if i can help it.
    any help would be great
    Rick

7. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

I havnt a clue if OIL, like oil from car, when you change it is considerd natural...We use that on our show hogs when they are getting bare, we lock them in their shed and pour on a few gallons......works pretty good!
    Best of lukc with you and your sows!
    AJ