Lice ????

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by needstoknowmore, Jul 6, 2006.

1. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

Can somebody educate me on lice? I dealt with it about 15 years ago on horses and didn't seem to have any problems getting rid of it then. But I am just not sure now on this calf. I have been searching for the answers but I am not having any luck finding them. And I don't want to take any chances of it spreding to the rest of the herds or flocks!
    I treated her with some powder but it didn't seem to work. So I got some Agri-mectin pour-on. When I used that I cleaned up all the old bedding and hay. I dusted her shelter and pen. She is not scratching any more than I think a she would without lice. The agri-mectin doesn't say it needs to be re-applied. But should I? It has only been a week and a half. She still has eggs on her, do I need to get them all off of her?
    I am feeling pretty stupid here! I feel fortunate that I haven't had to deal with it enough to know what I am doing. But I don't like the fact that I am not sure if I need to do more.
    Once I am sure that the lice is gone. I will be introducing her to Ellie.

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'd keep treating the buildings, and stalls, and bedding. To eradicate them once and for all. D.E. is great for lice. Sprinkle it on everywhere the calf has been, and is, and on her. It is non-toxic (unless you breathe it or put it up her nose) so safe to use on animals. Do not let it get in her mouth, nose, or eyes or genital area. If it odesn;twork entirely, it is because it wasn't applied throughout. Use very sparingly but cover large areas. I have an Ivermectin pour on that stops working on ticks after about 20 days. The bottle itself doesn't say when it can be re-applied . I hope someone else here can help you with that . Good luck.

3. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

Thanks. The agri-mectin is ivermectin. And it doesn't say when it can be reused. The best I could find in all my searchs says the pour-ons work because they have a residue effect and will get lice hatching up to 14 days after use, so only require one use. I used DE to dust her pen and house. And will do it again this weekend. And put some on her as well. I just want the buggers gone!!!!!

4. gold'nchocolate

gold'nchocolate Well-Known Member

I was looking for help with mites that were on my chickens and I found lots of advice on using the DE (Poultry section) so I tried it and it WORKED!!!! I can't see why it wouldn't work for lice since it will kill soft bodied insects. It's really easy to spread around and it's not toxic. Good luck with getting rid of them.