Lice

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cricket, Jun 15, 2006.

1. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

on a milking doe. My question is...Can I use Seven dust and not throw out milk? Or will it absorb through the skin? Or should I use Cydectin topically? And if so, what's the withdrawal period if any? I can't get plain DE here and I don't need 50# of it so it's not worth me ordering it. Otherwise I would use that. And too, I have both the Seven and Cydectin available now.

2. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

I use a shampoo with pyrethrins. Most are organic and not absorbed as far as I know. You could get it in the form of dog shampoo or people shampoo. It is the same thing used on a kid's head when they bring it home from school. I always use it on myself when I am done with the goat. Then I don't get the skin-crawling heeby-geebies.

3. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I bought a bag of diatamatious earth(food grade) and sprinkled it on the head and tail heads of my goats because they picked up some itchies somehow. Lice and fleas i'm told travel to both ends to get moisture.The d. earth cuts the little critters and they dry up.If any is licked off it acts as a wormer also. So far it seems to be working very well.And the fly population isn't too bad either!
    Chas

4. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

OOh. That is a good idea. Hoeger's sells diatomaceous earth for about $6. Most feed stores carry it too, but in the gardening section near the pesticides. Good luck.