lice treatment

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BubbleTea, Apr 16, 2005.

1. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

Anyone have any info. on lice treatments??
    Also the goat that has the lice is a milker.....any treatment that does not affect milk? Any natural remedies that work??

2. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

i looked it up and the best one i found is Synergized DeLice. Its suposed to be cheap and you should see results fairly quickly. Probably about a week. I dont think that you should have any problem with it effecting the milk. I havent checked on natural remidies. Goatgirl

3. CathyJK

CathyJK Well-Known Member

We have used a product called Dri KIll.. it's a powder. Any of them that are powder shake on sort of insect killers should be fine.

4. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Do you think you could use DE for lice treatment??

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Try a sulphur block - it's natural. Costs a little over $4 at the feedstore. Supposed to help with ticks and lice.

I just bought one about a week ago, the girls are licking on it like crazy, and there is a lot less scratching going on! My one kid that had lots of lice doesnt seem to have any now, although I haven't really checked the big girls.

HTH, Rachel :)

6. tinker-girl

tinker-girl Member

when i have an animal with lice, we take the dirtiest, blackest used oil and rub on them and it goes away. I dont know if it would effect the milk any though. But it does work.

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I get out the 7. th dust that I use on potato plants. that is what my vet said to use. works good .

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

If you're up for giving the buggers a bath, dog flea and tick shampoo works just fine on lice. Any decent horse and stable spray will work, too.

9. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer to use natural treatment methods on my dairy goats, if possible. Diatomaceous Earth (commonly called DE for short) is one natural way to treat for lice. If you do decide to use it, be sure that it is food grade. It can be ordered through the internet. And, as with any powder, protect yourself and the animal from breathing the fine dust particles. Since a couple of my dairy goats have some dandruff (for some reason I can never see those little critters!), I will treat them all...outside and not on a windy day. I sprinkle the DE down the spine from behind the ears to the tail tip spreading the powder down maybe 4" on both sides of the spine.

Nappy