lice on pigs- ivomec ??'s

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TurnKey, Nov 3, 2005.

1. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

OK- I've researched the past post for lice and the unanimous vote is for a dose of Ivomec injectable. Questions:
    - Intramuscular or sub-q --- length of needle needed
    - dosage for 60 to 75 pounders
    - how soon before i see results

I'm not skilled at veterinary procedures and this is only my second batch of feeders, so any, and I mean any advice would be appreciated!

2. HogEmAll

HogEmAll Well-Known Member

1cc treats 75lbs. I use an 18 gauge needle, 1 inch long. Needle goes into the back of the neck. Results will occur within 24-72 hours.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Turnkey,
    Follow Hogs instructions for volume per weight as we are now metric and whatever I tell you would need to be converted back to imperial.

SubQ in the anterior part of the neck - in a pig, the soft part just behind the ear. I too use an 18x1" needle but in a smaller pig you could get away with a 20x1". Wait until the pig is feeding, pinch the skin up into a tent, insert the needle, let the skin go and inject. If doing more than one pig, check the needle between pigs as their skin can be quite tough and burr the end of the needle making it difficult to insert and painful for the pig. I usually use a new needle every two pigs. You should see results as in worms in faeces within 12 hours, an improvement in your pigs condition within a week.

Ivomec will deal with both internal and external parasites and if these pigs are destined for the freezer you should only have to do it once.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

You can also forget the injections and give 1cc/75# top dressed on feed and will see the same results. It is absorbed through the gut and works just as fast, just as well. That has been our experience with it.
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs

5. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody for the fast answers. I'm gonna get on it right away! thanks

6. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

If they are tame enough like mine, I wrote each of their names on a styrofoam bowl and put a donut in it. I then used a 12 ml needle to withdraw from my bottle and then injected the appropriate amount according to the weight of each pig. We went out with our bowls and fed each pig a donut. My big gilt got two donuts since she had a bigger dose. I did feed them plain donuts the day before to see if we could be coordinated enough and they would be willing to eat the donuts intended for them. It worked great for us.

7. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

great idea with the doughnuts! I have given enough animal injections in my life...top dressing food with ivomec is the way to go with us. Don't forget to rotate your de-wormer medicine each time. You cannot simply use ivomec each and every time you deworm or it will become ineffective (regardless of what the drug company says...personal experience; and our brother-in-law is a vet).

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

that is true John. Just look at the goat industry. So far, Cydectin given orally is the only wormer to not show resistance.