Lice control questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kyla206, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Kyla206

Kyla206 Member

Hi there, my 2 moms & the 3 nursing babies all have lice, so I'm wondering what is the best treatment for them. The only treatment powder I could find at our farm store was 'Zipcide' with 1% Co-Ral, for use on beef & dairy cows & swine. Is this ok with the babes & nursing moms? I've also seen something about Ivermectin sub-q? Is this a wormer that kills off lice too? Would that be easier to use & maybe just use this powder in their barn? If I went with that, how much would they all need? And..on either treatment, when would I re-treat? The babies are all under a month old. Our area does not have an abudance of goat people, other than a few that raise Boers for meat, so our vet doesn't have a lot of information on some of these goats issues! At least not nearly as much info as I've found here!
    Thanks a lot! Have a great day wherever you may be!! ~Kyla

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I use Zipcide all the time without any problem. I haven't used it on babies though. Hasn't hurt the big girls though. I do milk first, then treat if necessary.

Ruth

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I sometimes use a flea/tick dust. I can't remember what it is called, though. I don't think you are supposed to use it on young kids like that, though. For prevention I use dog flea/tick shampoo when I give them thier baths. I told people on this forum that, and they told me not to. I didn't use it on my goats that year, and it was the first year that I had lice! Back to the shampoo, lol! Its really easy to bathe goats, just tie them to a tree or fence close to your water source (hose) and get them wet, lather and rinse. I usually tie them to the fence while they dry so they don't go and get dirty all over again. Make sure it is a warm, warm day with no winds. I wouldn't bathe a young goat unless it is hott where you are. :)

4. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

you can also just shave the goats and brush to rid of lice-