LICE and disbudding questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by oceanmist, Mar 28, 2006.

1. oceanmist

oceanmist Well-Known Member

Hi all I would like to know what sort of things people use to treat lice? Any natural treatments?

Also what do people do for infections underneath the disbudded cap area?

Does anyone else have problems with this caused just from running a mixed horn/ no horn herd?

Thanks Misty (oceanmistrabbitry@yahoo.com)

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

We dust the goats with Co-Ral to prevent any itchy bugs. Powder them , and then they are good for about two months. We haven't experienced any issues with disbudding as of yet. All ours are disbudded since they are dairy and my daughter shows. When the buds are burned, spray with Furral or Blue Kote to help keep away infection.

3. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Brush daily with a stiff brush... and or shave your goat. these both will get rid of lice.

Liz

4. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

are you saying you goat has a infection no under the cap? about 2-4 wks after disbudding flip off the caps. I spray with blue coat.

Liz

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Ivermectin 1% solution kills external paracites as well as internal paracites. Give it by mouth instead of as a pour on at 1cc/50lbs.

As far as natural treatments, you can try Diatometeous Earth (Food grade). Dust the goat but be VERY careful that you don't get any in your or the goats lungs. (I have never used it for mites or lice, I think it would be difficult). It acts like tiny, tiny glass shards to any bugs. But in the lungs it can do damage. Can also be given as a wormer moistened and mixed in food, or used in the house or garden dry as an organic insecticide. It's method of action is mechanical rather than chemical. Does not hurt mammals unless inhaled. Insects crawl in it then die because they are cut up and they dehydrate.

I put it in all the nooks and crannies in my kitchen and have no bugs at all. Then if it gets on your hands or food or cooking utensils, it is harmless to you or your pets. The bugs don't die immediately, but do disappear, for real.

6. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

If you want to go natural, you can use certain essential oils that are supposed to kill bugs. Green Light sells an all organic (Green Light Bioganic® Lawn & Garden Spray) safe to use around children and pets!

"All natural, 100% ORGANIC! Controls a broad spectrum of pests, including ants, caterpillars, centipedes, crickets, fleas, grasshoppers, mosquitoes, pillbugs, scorpions, ticks, and many more!" (if it kills fleas and ticks it will kill lice)

"Synergistic blend of natural plant oils that are FDA approved as food additives" So it would be safe to use ON goats.

I bought a bottle of the concentrate. Mixed it according to directions and use a trigger spray bottle for application. I have used it on the goats and I also spray it in their stalls/bedding to help keep flies down in summer.

Lowes carries it (possibly Home Depot)

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Pat Colby's book, Natural Goat Care, claims that giving your goats a tsp. of yellow sulfur a day will eliminate lice. Shazza claims it works!

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a louse dust such as CoRal on my goats. I just use dust on the kids. On the older goats, Ivermectin works for both worms and lice, but you shouldn't give it to babies. Baby goats are wormed with Valbazen. When I disbud, I pop off the horn bud right away. I have rarely had a problem with infection. The couple of times that I did, I cleaned the area with peroxide and applied triple antibiotic ointment.

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I reccomend that you don't run horned with dehorned animals unless the area you are keeping them in is large and are willing to have two feeders, two piles of hay exc. because the horned does will not tolerate the presence of the dehorned does and will pick on them and be able to hurt them. I have a single dehorned doe that is kept with a horned doe and two horned doelings. The dehorned doe 'has no friends' as I say, because the two horned doelings are kids of the horned doe and the horned doe has always been agressive to the horned doe but never has hurt her. I feed all my goats separate so it's not that much of a problem here, but if I had a choice I would put them in separate pens, which I just cannot do. :(

10. deetu

deetu Well-Known Member

I have a problem with lice every year because I cannot use chemicals.

Ivermectin didn't work on my lice either injected or oral. Finally took a sample (lice stuck to piece of clear tape) to the vet, my dog vet actually and she said they were biting lice, not sucking lice, that was why the Ivermectin didn't work.

DE may work on fleas but doesn't work on lice. I think they are too small.

Cannot find yellow sulfur anywhere around here or on the net. Tried garlic with feed though. Didn't work.

Got a natural flea shampoo called DeFlea. Killed most of the lice but not all. No residual killer so ones missed reinfected all the goats.

I am getting a new product called Neem to try. I'll let everyone know how and if that works.

Biting lice do not live off animals so there would be no problem with reinfection from bedding. I believe they got infected the first time from a deer buck (six pointer) that was hanging around them one fall. Didn't think it would cause any harm at the time.

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I too had trouble finding yellow sulfur. So I bought MSM powder for human consumption. I haven't used it yet as there are no lice. I also have some questions about the label saying not to use for pg or nursing (human) moms. That may be just to cover their rears. MSM or yellow sulfur is a provider of 2 essential amino acids that help in the building of hair, skin and bones. Also, these amino acids are essential for the utilization of selenium. SP it couldn't hurt either way. Read what Pat Colby says about it if you have her book.

12. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

You get can get sulfur on eBay. I got a 1# bag for less than the little 4 oz bottle at the store.