Library Etiquette.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jim@concordfarm, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Jim@concordfarm

Jim@concordfarm Well-Known Member

This is the time of year I have time to go to the library. There's a lady who works at the check out desk who is a friend of my family. It goes way back, on both sides of my parent's families. The problem is, she latches on to me as soon as I come in the door with polite, but loud questions about my families' health, my employment status, etc. I'm kind of getting to the point that I'm dreading going to the library. I don't want to go over her head and get her in trouble, because I know that she and her family need the income, like everyone else. I just want to have some quiet time to myself to browse. I really hate to think I'll have to go to an ajacent county for library services, because they charge $35.00 per year for out of county residents to check out books. (This is in Indiana.) Any theories on how I could handle this? Many thanks. Jim.

2. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Tough one. If you don't mind talking to her for a while, maybe you could interrupt her interrogation by saying you haven't time to chat at the moment but perhaps she'd like to join you for coffee or lunch later to catch up.

Another idea -- does your library have an online system? Ours allows us to browse and select books online, and the library helpfully pulls them and puts them in a bundle so that all we have to do is pick them up at the checkout.

If you can manage to go in at a time the library's busy, maybe your "friend" will be too busy assisting other patrons to bother you for long.

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Smile politely and say... "Oh Mable, I wish I had the time to catch up with you, but I am on such a tight schedule today, I just have to get my books. Excuse me won't you?"

works for me.

donsgal

4. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I like donsgal's reply.
    I'd also offer that you can find out your friend's normal work schedule and go at other times.
    I real heart to heart talk with her might be the real answer, however.
    Ann

5. SCBPX

SCBPX Member

Hmm, that may only put off the behaviour for next time

how about getting her attention on her own, when its just the two of you, tell her that you value her frienship but am a very private person and you're concerned that others will overhear snippets.

good luck!

Steve

6. SCBPX

SCBPX Member

Jim that may only put off the behaviour for next time

how about getting her attention - on her own, when its just the two of you around , tell her that you value her friendship but you a very private person and you're concerned that others will overhear snippets, and you also find it a little embarrassing when others are in line as it were,

good luck!

Steve

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Next time you go to the library tell her you need help finding books about swinging, Hedonism, and alternate lifestyles.................

8. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wave and smile and walk on by the desk to look for the books. Just DON'T STOP. If you stop, they've got you. If she calls after you, don't turn all the way around and go back, turn partway around to speak to her. You have to portray the idea that you are not going to chat, and that you have to get things done.

Good luck!

Jennifer

9. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Since your families do have a friendship history, why not go out to a meal together before you start in going to the library. This will allow some catch up time before going for books.

If she tries to latch onto you when you are in the library just tell her just caught up, so you'd rather chat over another lunch sometime in the future. Of course you can then control when that will be, if at all.