Liberal/Conservative

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beststash, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

I was reading the AARP post and noticed that this liberal/conservative issue has surfaced again.

I have always considered myself liberal. By that I mean that I value other peoples ideas and thoughts even though sometimes I might not agree. Living in Texas, it appears that everyone thinks of themselves as conservative - I wonder what that means?? I do believe that women's issues are none of my business, I don't think government has any business telling me how to live (unless I am disrupting or harming someone), Gays don't bother me, I see some in Austin but that is about it, I do think SS is a good thing and not welfare, I believe that most of the religious people I know are judgmental and somewhat racist. Family values - we all have family and I assume values????

What does the 21st century definition of Conservative mean??

I think this Liberal/Conservative is just a way to separate ourselves into groups - where is the value??

Sincerely

2. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

I would think the "General Chat" forum would be a better place for this question. Nothing wrong with asking it, this is just the wrong section for it.

J

3. LiberalCountryBoy

LiberalCountryBoy Well-Known Member

Liberal - Characterized by or favoring policies of reform and progress and generally opposing conservatism or reaction. Not bigoted or prejudiced; broad minded.

Conservative - Adhering to and tending to preserve the existing order of things; opposed to change.

Education seems to make one think more along the lines of liberalism.
    Greed seems to make one think more along the lines of conservatism.

Get ready...

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I am both greedy and educated. Guess I'll keep splitting my ticket :p

Ann

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................People can debate the Lib<vs>Con until the cows come home . The REAL POWER in DC is\are the Corporate Lobbyists that Control and Dictate the Process and Procedure of what REALLY happens in Congress . Exploring idea's is great for those in a College classroom . The real world is guided by the "legal" bribes that lobbyists pay to the Controlling power(s) of EACH political Party . Once Congress is in session the Voters can just forget most issues because their voice doesn't count for much . For example , the cost differential in Drugs available in Canada vs Here . The FDA moves to stop US citizens from either importing drugs via mail or to prevent them from purchasing in Canada and coming back across the Border by casting Aspersions opon the "Quality" when their made by the Same group of US Companies . Our whole Congress along with the Executive is Corrupt from Top to Bottom . Money is All that counts for anything anymore . fordy.. :)

6. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

couldn't have said it better Fordy :)

7. LiberalCountryBoy

LiberalCountryBoy Well-Known Member

Fordy is right

What we need to do is take the money out of politics. Have publicly financed elections where everyone gets the same amount of money and the same amount of air time - Then the best person would actually prevail.

8. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Just for instance on an inflamatory issue like Drug laws.

Liberals say you should be free to do what you want on one side. But if you need treatment the state should help pay for it.

A conserative says they must be illegal. But the state has no right to help pay for treatment and you should go to Jail.

9. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Only if you're "right thinking" and your idea of "doing what you want" comports with the liberal ideal. The so-called liberal neighborhoods around here are more close-minded and intolerant of diversity than any other I've seen.

10. stanb999

Yes I must Agree with you......

What was ment by that statement was to say they want freedom but no responsibilty.

11. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

It appears that this issue is not much about philosophy....rather how the spin doctors convince people to take a side.
    Maybe someday we can return to deciding issues based on merit and not by group mentality. Naaaa....probably not, requires some thought.
    Thanks everyone!!

12. stanb999

How else are we in a democracy to decide things?

Ahh yes the pesky voters again. Though I must admit most are ill informed.

13. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

The government hasn't figured out how to tax drugs yet. Thats the only reason their still illegal.

I think natural drugs (mushrooms, pot, etc) should be legalized, while the chemically manufactured (crack,meth, etc) should remain illegal.

Should the state pay for rehab? Hell no. Its time people took responsibility
    for themselves instead of being consumerisms puppets.

14. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Liberal / Conservative ....

A liberal in anything will allow more and a conservative will allow less.

Liberal vs. Conservative in politics .... more individual freedom vs. less individual freedom ....

Liberal vs. Conservative in religion .... more individual freedoms vs. less individual freedom ....

Liberal vs Conservative in makin sweet tea .... more sugar vs. less sugar ....

Liberality in everything is no better that conservativism in everything .... we MUST have a mix to have balance.

15. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I think you might have it a bit backwards. There are liberals who want to take away individual freedom (We know better than you how to run your lives therefor you will do things our way.... a good example of this are some of the social welfare programs.

There are conservatives who champion(ed) individual freedom above all else. A good example of this would be Barry Goldwater. Many neocons and religious right folks couldn't stand ole Barry because he believed in individual rights unless the government had a critical and compelling interest to constrain those rights.

Same as above. Ask if you want specific examples cited.

Mike

16. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Well .. it WAS just my opinion .... whatcha think about sweet tea?
    OOOPS Ohio??? ya never had real sweet tea :haha: :haha:

Goldwater was thought to be soooo liberal here that almost no conservative will speak his name.
    Could be regional, I guess.

For most people being Republican or Democrat has NOTHING to do with being conservative or liberal ......

17. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

LiberalCountry Boy gave the correct definition of conservative (not wanting to change things) Unfortunately, the reactionaries, who seek to "return us to some better era from the past" (Define better- pre antibiotic? pre religious lberty, when heretics were burnt at the stake) have coopted the term conservative and now use it as their definition. There are very few true conservatives any more. Most of those who identify themselves as such are reactionaries, they just seek to inject government into religion and the bedroom. And to silence even the "loyal opposition".

I wouldn't have seen this in CHAT because I stay away ftom it. I would say that it probably indeed is a CHAT subject. I trust that so long as it remains on the "Homesteading" section that all posters will remain civil?

18. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

You almost defined it......

19. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Other way around, PP. Don't know where the rock U been hiding under has been, but it's the other way around!!