LGD's

Discussion in 'Goats' started by CrittersByTheCreek, Apr 11, 2018.

1. CrittersByTheCreek

CrittersByTheCreek Member

Maybe this place will be better then the LGD dog group.
    I just got a great pyr.
    I didn't realize they bark ALL night long.
    Is there anything I can do about this?
    I have a bark collar (was given to me never has used before by me) I've also been given one of the training shock collars wit a remote (also was given never use by me).
    I know they are suppose to bark to **** away the critters but all night? (I'm getting sleepy)

NO NEGATIVITY PLEASE I saved this dog, she was a runner on another farm they didn't have fencing and were going to put her down (not in a nice way).

2. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

If you have fences capable of keeping a pyr in, then you have no worries of goat predators getting in. This means you can make a sound proof kennel to keep it in at night so you can sleep.

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

You may eventually become used to the barking. A sound-proof kennel won't help the dog keep predators away. Night time is the worst time to lock up an LGD!

Myself, when I wake up enough to hear my LGDs barking, I smile, roll over, and go back to sleep because I know they're out there Oct 23rd, 2017, #1.jpg where they belong, doing their job.

4. Pyrpup2016

Pyrpup2016 Well-Known Member

If you do your homework, you'll read that this is what they do. It's the warning all predators off, and like Nehimama, I find it reassuring to hear them working. I've not lost a chicken, or had a deer eat my garden since getting the Pyrs. For goodness sake, don't use the collar - punishment for what they're bred for is very counter-productive . It's why they're not recommended when you have close neighbors who won't understand what's going on - where they are from, they guard hundreds of acres, and large bands of stock. Trying to make them into something they're not, is our problem, not the dogs'. A good resource for the breed is the website, Bountiful Farm. Look for the sub-thread on training seminars.

5. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

Pyrs are barkers. That’s how they protect their herd/flock/etc. Are you using the dog for protection? If so, you don’t want it to stop barking. If it is a family pet, the bark collars do work. We used them on our two labs when we visit my parents that live in a subdivision. It’s too the point that the collars aren’t even on, the dogs just don’t bark when I put the collar on them.

6. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

I hve a Border Colie and a Pyr. The Pyr lives with the pigs and has a house out in the pig pasture. She protects all my stock and nothing gets near the pigs. My Border Collie has a house close the my house. In the day time they run together and takes care of my animals. No other Dog or wild animal gets near my farm. Not much barking at night or day. They just run off anything that comes near my farm. Farm is fenced in with 4 ft. field wire. I have fences all over the farm with gates. These Dogs have no problem jumping over the fences if gates are not open. I have never trained these Dogs. I got them when they were babies and they grew up with the stock. The baby pigs like to hang around the Dogs and the Dogs protect all my stock.

nehimama likes this.
  7. barnbilder

The farms where I have been hired to remove coyotes with traps would seem to indicate that coyotes can become used to incessant barking. If there is fence that will hold a pyr, it will keep most coyotes out. Walking fence lines and peeing does as much good as barking, and you can do that with a pomeranian or anything, as long as it is K-9 pee.

CrittersByTheCreek likes this.
  8. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

I commend your effort to rescue this LGD. It is not uncommon for people to buy/adopt/rescue dogs that are inappropriate for their situation. Border Collies, coon dogs, pit bulls and LGD are often a poor fit for their unsuspecting owners. Perhaps a breed specific rescue could arrange a more appropriate living arrangement.
    In my community, a dog that barks all night, every night would be killed. That isn't fair to the dog.

happy hermits likes this.
  9. Rosepath

Rosepath Well-Known Member

If the dog is new to your place, it's not used to all the noises around you and is barking to protect its new territory/animals/people. They bark, it's what they do, and using a shock collar is not a very kind thing to do to a dog you care enough about to rescue. We've had Pyrs and they are fantastic at protecting the stock, maybe give you new dog a little time and tolerance till it gets accustomed to your farm. Ours would even be out barking at thunder, to them it sounded like a very big predator, I guess.
    There's a "Great Pyr Rescue" in our state, who are totally clueless about this breed. Unbelieveable. They will only deign adopt their dogs, and they have tons of them, to an "indoor home with outdoor privileges with a 5' fenced yard". What part of this breed's characteristics are they ignoring? Apartment dogs they're not, and it burns my bacon to see how they try to force city ideas onto country dogs. (sorry, rant off, didn't mean to aim this at you, just came to mind, so be cautious about "rescues.")

10. secuono

secuono Well-Known Member

Better insulate your walls and windows. Fence them and the goats 200+ feet away, plant thick vegetation to buffer sound.
    That's what I did.
    The barking is mind melting occasionally. Also have shooting ear muffs to wear when they bark towards the house.

CrittersByTheCreek and nehimama like this.
  11. barnbilder

I have a kennel of really stupid hound dogs right outside my window. I have a set of shocking collars. I don't tolerate barking for no reason. There are some, that if I hear a peep out of them, I investigate. Others are given the tone button to warn them what is to come if they don't follow the example of their elders. There are times when they all get released, if something is around that shouldn't be, and is causing a ruckus then they can all run and bark, far away from where they could bother anyone, and where in fact, after a few phone calls, some folks might gather round a campfire to listen to them bark, until the wee hours of the morning. I find nothing musical about the pyrs, that is the most grating sound on the face of the earth, worse than nails on a chalkboard. How people stand those things I will never know, must be deaf, or stay locked in their basement with headphones on, playing call of duty, new age farmer wannabes.

12. CrittersByTheCreek

I do have neighbors but they are farmer people who have a GP puppy who comes over and plays.My nubians and alpacas have a half acre to run and play on, it's funny to see them all running around like crazy. I've only had one chicken die because she can't get in the chicken coop as of yet to an owl.

We get her out of the fence and put her on a runner so she some people time which she loves.

I don't plan on using the shock feature just the beep she she knows I've heard her and will stop. Once i say OK Ladybird she stops and goes back to guarding. She is very sweet and I have always wanted one. I was curious and this is WAY BETTER INFO THEN THE NEGATIVITY ON THE LGD BLOG!! Thanks that has answered a lot of questions!!

nehimama and Alice In TX/MO like this.
  13. CrittersByTheCreek

They are lovely!!

nehimama likes this.
  14. FarmerRuss

FarmerRuss Well-Known Member

We also have 2 knuckleheads..
    [​IMG]
    And they are barkers
    hey ...HEY there is a butterfly in the yard.
    hey ..HEY there is bird on the deck.
    When we have hawks overhead....they take turns barking
    They have a bark for the mail lady.
    If both of them bark I go look.
    we have learned to speak "Barknezine"

I would not trade their barks for anything in the world.

nehimama likes this.