LGD question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lscheopner, Dec 14, 2006.

1. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

A guy here is giving away an 8 month Anatolian/Pyr cross female. He says she won't stay in the pen with the goats. She protects them from stray dogs and strangers but would rather be with their other dog. She was raised with goats her whole life. This has become a recent behavior.
    Is she worth trying? His fences are only 4 foot tall(not sure how he keeps his goats in) and mine are 5 and 6 foot. We do not have another dog out there for her to follow either.
    Give me your input!

Laina

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

they work best in pairs at least, but if she does her jod thats what matters most, the Pyrannese Blood is what has made her patrole a larger area away from the goats, if she is good with the stock and keeps bad stuff away, and is a decent price i would get her. just be sure to keep her eather chained up or penned up for a while so she knows where home is and all that.

3. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

Could she be in heat, or even bred at this time... either one can/will often change a bitches behaivior.

Personally; I'd take her in a minute. You might have to re-train her to your goats, and probably restrict her travel to a certain degree for a spell. Once she sees where the feed bowl is located, the water bucket can be found, and time the feeding schedual for the goats so she can sneek a snack once in a while, she should settle right in. You might consider a low strung "hot" wire on your fences for a spell as well, at least until she stops looking for that greener grass that's always located there!

Give her a shot... we've never met a mutt that wasn't worth a chance... but that's just me. I'm sure others have their ideas as well.

Wing

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd give her a try, especially if you can run some hotwire along the top and bottom of your fence....

5. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

Called the guy and waiting for a call back. We have decided to give her a try. LGDs are hard to find here that actually work. Most are around the $500 range and have never seen a goat in their lives. Will let you know what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Laina