LGD eating goat block...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chris30523, Nov 18, 2006.

1. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

My pyr is eating a dumor goat block I put out.It is 18% protein with minerals.Good?Bad? doesn't matter?She licked it, ate a few bites, and claimed it for her own..Now she won't let the goats near it.

2. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Could be a sign of her diet being deficient. If she were mine I'd check the feed label.

I'd also put out another block for the goats or make sure they have suffient loose minerals.

HF

3. chris30523

I guess she was just "taste testing" I went out and checked and she lost interest and let the goats at it..The goats have free choice loose minerals also .They get a mixed hay and browse and enough alfalfa to keep them coming up. We added the protein block as most everything is dead now and the browse is not too good.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's why my dogs eat goat poop...

5. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually it is good for your dogs to eat goat poop! The goats digest plant matter that the dogs cannot and the dogs are then able to assimilate the "partially" digested food. Also why dogs, coyotes, big cats in the wild will consume the entrails,liver, etc. of an animal before digging into the protein. Just FYI :)

6. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

P.S. Placentas are also excellent to give your dogs. Very rich in nutrients.

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Mine eat the sheep's minerals, feed, and most anything else they get their mouths on LOL. They are especially fond of deer meat.

8. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

Your dogs eating the mineral block is either a sign of curiosity or that of lack of good nutition. Most dog food that people buy is bacily corn, or grains. Almost no meat. I am even talking the "good" food that some people call it. Like Pedigree, Purina, even Iams and Eukaneuba aren't great, they are just name brands.
    Iams and Eukaneuba are the better of those but really expensive. There are some pretty good foods out there for a decent price. Like Sportmix Lamb and rice, or the Nutro brand dog foods. Or even PMI's Exclusive brand is good. Just thought I would throw that in for ya. :)

9. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Not that I want to hijack this thread, but since we are on the subject of Dumor goat blocks:

I currently have 17 goats - 2 older male wethers, 3 older does, and numerous does/wethers. When I buy a 30# goat block from TSC it lasts for 2 - 3 days and is totally gone. I figured it was because I was only buying one every once in a while but even when I bought 5 of them and replenished them, they still ate them like candy.

At $8.00 / block they aren't cheap, but I don't want them to be lacking in any minerals either. Are my goats eating these so fast because they are lacking, or because they are bored, or because they taste so good? The feed mill, Agway, or TSC doesn't offer a loose mineral so what other options can I do? Is there molasses in the block that makes it taste like candy to them?

10. chris30523

good question.I put one out day before yesterday and it is 2/3 gone.I have minerals out free choice also.I was adding the block for the protein asthe quality of my hay this year and the browse is about gone.It is out with 22 does.They take turns and nibble though they don't just eat a bunch at once

11. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

I special ordered some loose minerals from Agway. My goats don't like it-it is black, and smells nasty, (reminds me of pepper) not like the Golden Blend red loose minerals which they eat all the time. I don't have the label because we dump the bags into storage containers.

12. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Be careful with dogs and salt blocks. A dog doesn't expell salt as easily as ruman animals. They can "OD" on salt with a relative small amount. They are more like us in this respect. Did you know that 1 tea spoon of table salt is a fatal to the adverage adult human.