LGD advise needed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mberryrfd, May 1, 2006.

1. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

This is cross posted

Ok so our PYR is starting to have a few problems
    We had a new kid born and she is trying to attack it.
    then there is the neighbors dogs
    uesterday while I was repairng fences she got out and went straight to the thier fence and started attacking their dogs through the fencealthough no one was hurt It isnt a good thing
    With LGD you are suppose to use limited commands and what nots they are suppose to look after the livestock.She will listen to me in the yard with getting her stop most things.
    She shows no vicous tends towards any people that we have to our house after we let them in the yard.
    but leaving her area to go after the neighbors and trying to attack the new kids will be a problem any ideas on stoping this type behavior.
    She is 9 monthes old and is from a livestock family was even born in a goat pen and has been with goats all her life .

2. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't be trusting a 9 month old yet. Its still a pup and should be introduced to the kids under the owners control. To many people buy these dogs and think they can just be put out with the livestock. There was a study done with dogs regarding human children, it takes most dogs about 6 months to accept a new infant as part of the pack. The same can translate over to goat kids. If she has not been around kids she needs to learn to accept them and they are part of her herd. Even if she was born in a goat pen. She needs supervision from a person or an experience LGD before being trusted out there on her own. As far as it going after the neighbors dogs I, thats an owner issue and they are not supposed to be friendly with dogs they are not aquainted with.

3. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

OK makes a bit more sense
    So I should do a introduction slowly to the neighbors dogs which buy the way are 1300 ft down the road
    as far as the kids thats what ive kinda done moved the dog last night and will do a slow intro with the new kids as more are appearing to be due soon

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get her too used to the neighbor's dogs -- if they ever got onto your place and started causing problems, you want her to deal with them, not want to play.

Kathleen