Lewis and Cabe.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cabe, Jul 23, 2005.

1. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Years ago , my nephew and I set out on a fishing trip up a very nice little stream very deep in the mountains.During this trip we caught so many wild trout that we vowed some day to return and explore it to its origin(and around here that is usually a rock cliff and boulder feild with tiny little streams or springs).During our first trip up this creek , I caught one of the largest trout I have ever seen for the size stream we were in.My wife is traveling to Winston Salem this week to support our 14 year old during their bid for State Champions in fast pitch softball. I have to stay here for our small farm and several dogs etc... so I will be once again the carefree boy fishing at random.My father will be setting me out at the trail head where I have a 4 mile hike into the valley where our partially explored creek is, and this time I am going to its source or sources.I am like a kid about this, getting all my gear together, adjusting my tackle.I am taking a camera and it is my goal to catch a larger trout than last time in smaller water :rolleyes: and the last time this was hard as I had to weave my line down into a small log jam, in the center of a deep black pool.When the trout hit , I then had to pull him straight out of there, and as I was about to land him my 2 lb. test snapped and he swung into my chest. I was lucky :baby04: It is supposed to be a pretty day, and isnt it wonderful to just enjoy Gods creations without hurting this wilderness we take for granted.Wish me luck, and I will do my best to figure out how to get some pics in here.Marty.

2. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

The frist native I ever landed was in a spring creek that lead into the Little Laurel in Madison county NC, you never forget those mountain days when the quiet surrounds you and the trout want to be with you. Good luck. Wish I was there

3. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Sue, that was cool what you said about the trout wanting to be with you. Spoken like a true fisher-person, and you said it from the heart.The day was glorious, I caught over 30 fish , gently reviving and releasing each one feeling them slide thru my hand as they gave me one last little splash with their tails to say goodbye .I accomplished my goal, I landed a beautiful 10+ inch Brown Trout in a tiny creek 2ft. wide.The picture I made of him was great. I placed him quickly on the mossy log over the tiny pool he came out of, and then laid my ultra- lite fishing pole beside him. All this had a waterfall in the background with the morning mist puffing about.In one spot the creek was a series of dozens of stair stepped pot holes one after another.I would be standing in the hole below the next , hook the trout and then it would jump into the lower hole where I was , and then I would play them in that hole.What fun!One time I was fishing so intent that when I did look around , I was surrounded by GINSENG :D some old stuff, but I have been digging it for many years, and this is not the time right now to dig. Thanks for the reply. Marty.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Suddenly I am a kid again, at the stream at my grandfathers place, and there is mist coming off of the water.....

Thank you.

5. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

That mist is like some kind of therapy. The coolness of it and the promise of a secluded day of fishing. The damp and fresh cool feeling of the mist all around you and then this even colder sensation of the water up to your knees feels like I am a kid again too.Today we went for a swim at the larger river where all these little streams come together, and I had an idea. I told the kids to find me two flat heavy rocks, and I waded out ot my chest deep with them and held them to me and plunged back into the deep blue water.I sank very quick, and there I was flat on my back in the coldest and clearest water in the world. I slowly opened my eyes under the water, and there I was looking at the sun under water, it was so clear I could see the smiles on the girls faces as I ran out of breath had to drop the rocks and surface. I was numb, and refreshed so much! :rock: :rock: Marty.