Let's try this homestead community discussion again.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rickd203, Apr 13, 2006.

1. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

There are several discussions going on about this topic. Some are specifically looking for Christians. Other threads don't want any type of community at all, just some kind of unwritten cooperative agreement. The post (Community questions) that people that had questions about homesteading has been hijacked people who thought you were really looking for people to shoot down your ideas and stomp all over your hopes and dreams.

- For all the naysayers- WE'VE HEARD ALL YOUR "STUFF" BEFORE---GO AWAY!!!

Hopefully, this will give people that are seriously wanting to exchange ideas about a homestead community a place for peaceful discussion. I'm looking at the web site for Blue Heron Farm . The HT member that posted this link lives in the community. I have checked out about half of the site. So far, I would say that they stole many of my ideas except they have been doing this successfully since 1987. Check out this site and if it sounds like something you want to start then tell us your ideas.

I am not starting this thread so that I can start a homestead community. This is just a discussion, an exchange of ideas. IF it sounds like people are coming out with ideas and plans have real possibilities, I MAY ask to join you.

2. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Rick, fix your link -- a "w" is missing

3. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Dude.......it's a homesteader's dude ranch. ROFL

5. rickd203

Thanks, I fixed the link. The Blue Heron Farm QBVII listed is a different Blue Heron Farm, located in MA. The one I was referring to is in NC.

6. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Oops, sorry! There's two of them?

7. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

Here's where we stand: we have cash in hand and are looking for "our" property. That is why I have been following this whole thing so closely.

We seriously looked into the "intentional community" and just did not find any that were right for us. We talked and talked about forming one, or joining one that is forming - but they either sound like a commune, or have too many rules.......and that goes for all sides, whether the rules are restrictive to non-believers, or restrictive to the guy who wants to worm his cows and spray his weeds.

One reason we had moved a few years back was because we had friends there and the talk was all about cooperative living with each family doing their own thing - but one having a tractor, one having knowledge of this, one raising that, etc. Well........it sounded pretty, but didn't work. For one thing, we were the only ones that had money, a tractor, other heavy equipment, and a lifetime of knowledge - so we were getting pretty worn down lending things and not getting them back, getting asked for advice and then blamed when it wasn't followed, helping but not getting helped, etc. (Human nature!) For another, as I have stated before - we are type A personalities and do what needs done when it needs doing,......that did not fit in with the laid back mentality of the others and the community at large. We also were raised that if you borrow something you return it promptly, in as good or better condition. Didn't happen. It started out great, but then the family selling wool saw how much the family selling milk was making, so they started selling milk - then the family selling honey saw how much the family with goats milk was making so they started selling goats milk - and another family whose bottle calves died of neglect several years in a row and whose chicks died of neglect got mad at another family who had success through hard work and on and on until it was not a real pleasant place to be. And they didn't even own anything together!

I'm not saying it can't be done! We are anabaptist, although a group you have probably never heard of - not Amish or Mennonite. But we have had enough interaction with the A/M that we have seen how and why they thrive. And we have come to the conclusion that you HAVE to have a shared, unshakeable, foundation that governs all of your choices. Whether that is religion or ecology or the color blue.........

As I said, we have money, we have knowledge, and we have equipment (although of course no one ever has enough of any of those!). The reason we were interested in community living was because we believe that bad times are coming - whether it is recession, natural disasters, whatever - and that when those times come it would be better to be in a group who could help each other survive. No man/woman/family is an island. We decided the best option for us was to find a community that fit what we wanted and move in - get to know the neighbors, build relationships, not encroach on each other, and when/if bad times come I bet we would be able to count on each other. So that is what we are doing....

In circumstances like that, are you really going to care that your neighbor uses miracle grow, or is an "other" religion, or has three arms and two eyes? I don't think so........

But when the communities are forming, people focus on the differences because everyone wants an ideal. I'm NOT trying to be a naysayer, and have rarely spoken on this issue - I'm just trying to enlarge your perspective with our experience and thoughts. I think it CAN work, and like I said before - in my opinion, your best chance, since there is no foundation that you all live by, is to pick 5 uncompromiseable (is that a word?) things and let everything else go.

Bowing back out now - but good luck to you all! And I hope you don't mind when I keep reading

8. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more....the borders aren't secure now - far from it. We'd all better be making our plans NOW --- while we still have some options.
    Goodness knows, you can't depend on the government to keep you safe. It's a grassroots thing....I figure we're already a couple years behind where I'd feel comfortable being right now.
    As soon as I finish this contract, we're outta here, headed back to KY.

9. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I posted this on the other thread too: HEY, maybe that is something those of you truly interested could do, have a "town meeting" about once a week where you get on AIM and create your own chat room and work out some of the issues where you can all talk freely without the skeptics bursting everyone's bubble. Plus when it is in a chat room that you created you can all talk and answer in a more conversational format.

Just an idea for you guys to work out the details. :) I personally love the idea of the type of community you are talking about. DH and I would consider it but he still has the same job he's had for 29 years so we aren't going anywhere for the time being. Maybe later..............

10. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

That's really what needs to be done.
    Goodness knows I"m not going to go into too much detail on this board.

Hey boyeyz :nana:

11. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I've just set up a yahoo group (thanks, Kathleen, for the idea) for folks who are interested in buying together or finding an area and moving there, but don't want a commune. The address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Homesteadingdreamers/messages. Take a look at the first two messages and if it's the direction you are interested in going, feel free to join.

12. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Is it OK if I just read and laugh quietly to myself?

I Promise to be quiet... :bow:

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i dont beleive in that all together thing
    but if thats what you want to do be a leader not a follower you have money in hand start it then if there are like minded people you will find each other
    dont be afraid of long hours and lots of hard work

14. rickd203

I went back to the ic.org website and found a few IC's that are well established and successful. I also put in an order for a couple homesteading community books. I think this will help in discussing what will or won't work based on other successful communities.

I have also found that some communities have some things that work well for them but might not go over too well in this discussion. In community, nobody owns their cars. Instead, the community owns 18 cars for thw whole community to use. Since they are organized as a nonprofit organization, there are clear tax advantages. Still, it doesn't sound like too many people here would favor that idea. In another group, most of the members have a bedroom in a large dormitory style building. That's having neighbors too close, even for me.

I will post some things that work for them that we might want to discuss. It's late here so I will make that post later.

15. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

16. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

That place looks nice but they require a huge fee to join...

17. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I joined the yahoo group, and would be very excited to start up a weekly AIM chat with those who are interested in this topic.

Thanks, rick, for starting up a new thread. It does get annoying to have to sift through all of the negativity to find the good posts.

So does anyone have ideas for times for AIM chats? My work schedule is all over the place, so there's no one time I can suggest that would always work for me. Plus we'll probably be moving in the next couple of months so that'll throw a new wrench into my time management.

18. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Just wanted you to know that I am very much in the discussion. I really appreciated nogreaterjoy8's comments. I like the idea of the five no compromises.
    My friend had a similar problem with a land purchase like this one. Someone said "all the christians come and live here and have farms..." Turned out that the "leader" of this group was a control freak. She always wanted people to help HER do HER stuff, but didn't want to help anyone else. She wanted to control who moved in, and who moved out and HOW they moved out. She had the full expectation of free childcare all the time.

There needs to be lots of conversation if we do this. Perhaps we can work to find ways to accomodate differences, like if a person does not want a conventional farmer near them because of chemicals in the ground water run off concerns etc... perhaps we can put the conventional farms on one part of the land and the organics on another?

I am just saying that things like this shouldn't exclude people. I personally do not believe religion should exclude people either. The above mentioned problem was between people of the same faith. That doesn't mean they had shared expectations and shared values.

So I guess for this discussion, the question may be what are the shared expecatations, and shared values that we can all agree on? If we are going to create a community, we are going to have to think like a community, and bend to our neighbors on some points. This will not be a perfect community, it will not be utopia. But it has to have some cohesive defining points... minimal ones... as ngj8 said.

Thought anyone?

Cindy

19. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Sunday morning your time from anywhere between 6am to 11am that is the only day and time I can be sure of though like I said I have never chatted before so I would have to try and figure it all out.

20. rickd203

I'm working on something with Boxwoods and if it works out, we may have something you might really want to be a part of. I don't want to give out any details and I may not be making too many posts while we work on this project. Keep your fingers crossed!