Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure i'm in the throes of it. A little background. As far as I can tell my grandmother went thru it in her mid 40's. Not sure about my mother as she has always been in it judging by moods. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago come January..not by choice but. I nursed ds for 16 months and shortly after that the symptoms started. Mood swings, panic attacks, hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain, not sleeping. I've taken estroven for awhile and it has helped alot. But lately it just doesn't seem to be doing the same. The panic attacks are not as bad and neither are the hot flashes. I actually get cold now. But the fuzzy memory is worse, feminine dryness is worse, and I have absolutely no interest in sex (much to dh's dismay). So I'm researching what to try now. I've been looking at this site http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/hrt/hrt_herbs_for_menopause.htm and reading what they say. I'd like to know what ya'll do or have done or know that works to help this.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I was lucky and went through menopause without anything like the symptoms you are experiencing. I had a uterine endometrial ablation, and was given HRT to counter the effects of that, and I stuck to it for about 10 years. It helped enormously. At worst, I had one or two night-sweats, and one or two hot flushes, and that's about the extent of it.

There really is no need for any woman to suffer through menopause. I think you should take another trip back to your doctor, and get your HRT adjusted to suit you better. It's obviously working, so why not stick with it?

Meantime, your husband needs to be more understanding of your condition, and not make you feel any worse than you already do by putting you on a guilt trip. Perhaps he should go with you to the doctor to discuss how to overcome the issues with your intimacy. It's something you need to work through - together!

Thing is, whether you opt for conventional medication, or for herbal medication, it's still just medication! You could use Black Cohosh, or you could try Wild Yam and any number of other herbs, but you'd still be using medication. The difference really is only that the dosages of conventional meds are more easily controlled - and trust me, those herbs taste VILE!

Still, if you're that keen, here are some herbal remedies. You MUST mention any of these to your doctor - herbs can and do interfere with conventional medications, AND with each other, especially when taken in medicinal amounts!

Eat plenty of Beetroot (including the stems and leaves), which are an excellent remedy for headaches related to hot flashes, stress and tension.

Drink a tea made of Hops or Nettle to prevent night sweats.

Eat plenty of Oats in the diet, or infuse Oatstraw as a tea and drink a cup or two each day.

Herbs which contain oestrogen include: Alfalfa, Black Cohosh, Chaste Tree, Evening Primrose, Fenugreek, Ginseng, Pomegranate, Red Clover, Stinging Nettle, St John’s Wort, Wild Yam. Any of these, taken as tea, will help menopausal symptoms.

Eat plenty of Fennel, Broccoli, Celery, Cabbage, Parsley, Brussels sprouts, Soy products.

The following herbs taken in any combination will help to regulate the hormones that cause menopausal symptoms: Damiana, Motherwort, Black Cohosh, Dong Quai, Passionflower, Sarsparilla, and Ginseng.

Drink Sage tea to relieve hot flushes. Drink Parsley tea for depression and general support.

An infusion of the leaves and berries of Chaste-tree (Vitex) taken once or twice a day will relieve menopausal symptoms. Or use commercial products.

A decoction of rhizome of Goldenseal, applied locally, will ease vaginal irritation and inflammation.

Include Flax (Linseed) in the diet as a supplement. It is often included in commercial breads. The seeds must be crushed to be absorbed into the body.

Ginkgo biloba is useful in relieving both cold hands and feet and the forgetfulness that often accompany menopause.

Treat headaches, migraine, dizziness and nausea due to menopause by taking a small glass of fresh Cucumber juice daily.

Drink a cup or two of Motherwort leaf tea each day.

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Ginnie...

I've had GREAT success with this product. http://www.terrafirmabotanicals.com/home/tf1/page_45/wild_yam_combo_i_menopause_formula.html

I had all the symptoms you listed (even though I was tested and my hormone and thyroid levels came back "normal"!), in addition to joint pain, flooding, and just general ickiness. I've been taking one squirt of the tincture in a shot glass with a bit of water morning and evening for a month, and all of the symptoms are gone. I can now wear socks and pajamas to bed (I had been wearing shorts and a tank top and sleeping on top of the covers). Because I'm not waking up in the middle of the night in a sweaty pool, I've been sleeping all night through. That alone probably has remedied some of the moodiness and body aches.

Good luck finding what works for you. I was blessed to have some kind ladies offer suggestions when I started a thread a while back and found some great herbs right away.

I forgot to mention...I had such a horrid panic attack last spring (I didn't know it was a panic attack) that I was hospitalized because I (and the doctors) thought I was having a heart attack. My uncle and grandpa died in their very early 40's from heart attacks, so I went to the ER as soon as I had myself convinced that I was following in their footsteps. When it was finally decided that it was anxiety, I was given a prescription (which I never filled) for some sort of anxiety medication and sent on my merry way. There was never any discussion about anxiety being a symptom of being perimenopausal...just "here, pop these pills and you're good".

The medical community just drives me absolutely bonkers.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just to clarify. I'm not on hrt and never have been. I have been taking estroven (otc) but it doesn't seem to be working like it did at first. I've got some new herbs coming and plan on trying those. I don't hold much faith in doctors and unless I'm dieing I just don't go. And dh is NOT giving me a hard time.....he just misses that I have no interest and it hurts his feelings. He's a guy and he just doesn't get female things sometimes! I think I just need to adjust what i am doing about this.
And I know what you mean about those panic attacks mammabooh. they scared me half to death at first. There's a history of early heart attacks in my family too so there I was having a panic attack and crying at the same time cause I thought I was going to die. A good friend of mine, an older lady at church, looked at me and said "honey you're not dieing you're going thru the change!" I'm looking at the tincture now.

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Also, Ginnie...I forgot to mention about the difference in herbal supplements. I don't know if you know much about herbs, but I just thought I'd mention this. I think that conventional medicine has led us to believe that pill form is best...that we can pop one pill once a day and everything will be great. The trouble is, that herbs don't really work that way and the herbs you get in pill or capsule form can be nasty, dead crud that has been processed beyond recognition and has virtually none of the healing qualities left in it. I urge you to seek out companies (or individuals) who use responsible harvesting and growing techniques and who process the herbs as little as possible. It's great if you can even make your own tonics and tinctures once you get an idea of what is safe. Even if you do purchase a well-made product, the dosage on the bottle (if there is any listed) is usually not enough. I think they are scared of the government and their regulations and so they make wimpy recommendations based on fear. I can't prove that, but when you research stuff written by experts on herbal healing, the dosages and strengths are usually much stronger and higher than what is recommended on the bottle.

I'm no expert on any of this, but I just wanted to point out the problem with the mass-produced herbal supplements. It gives me great pleasure when I am able to grow something and use it for what ails us. It's very satisfying indeed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts